The Manager

Lapis's PoV:

"Let's discuss this mission!" He exclaimed, a broad grin forming on his face. "Black and Lime, is it? And the little ones. Is there anything you want to know before we leave?"

"Well..." James began

"Just a second. We never said yes..." Thomas mumbled, and I nodded in agreement.

"Surely you want to go into space? It's amazing! So much to see and do, discoveries to make!" The manager continued, beginning to pace around the room excitedly.

Coal gave me a weird glance, as if to ask 'what the heck this dude playing at?'
I guess he was funny. For the kids.

"Where are we going, sir?" Emerald asked happily.

"Please. Call me Bob" the manager grinned. "And you're going to The new and improved Skeld!" Huh? That's just the training ship... it's a model version, and on Earth. After receiving a few confused glances, he corrected himself. "It is similar to the ship you have previously visited for your training missions, however infinitely grander. And real. Up in space."

Chocolate gasped in awe. "Real space?"

"What other kind of space is there?" Bob lightheartedly chuckled. I glanced over at Choccy's delighted expression and decided that we were okay here. We had to be.

"Yeah okay. But what about the imposters?" Coal snapped.

"Well would I be incorrect in making the presumption that you trust your friends there with all your heart?" Bob breezily replied. Coal narrowed his eyes at the man, before snapping back

"It's not them I'm worried about. It's ASAN."

"Coal" his father sighed, "I'm sure they have it all sorted"

"Correct" Bob grinned once more, "we have multiple procedures to ensure the safety of all crew members"

"No!" Coal yelled, "how can you be sure?!"

I expected Bob to be frustrated with this outburst, however he did something quite unexpected.

He held his finger up to silence us, then dramatically sniffed the air for a few seconds. "What's that I can smell.... is it.... doubt?"

Indigo giggled at him, and a few of the other kids glanced around in confusion.
"Well yeah I think he's kinda doubting you, understandably of course." I finally contributed, seeing as no one else was about to speak up.

"I can assure you of the fact that this mission will be safe. No weapons, like your little friend there...." Bob motioned towards Peach, who was being talked to sternly by one of the security guards.

"Follow protocol?" Coal bitterly muttered, about to say something else but got interrupted by the manger again.

"Yes. You may talk to Janice now, I have a meeting to attend of the highest importance."

A different lady walked into the room, and Coal immediately interrogated her. "Chocolate isn't ten yet! He can't go on the mission!"

"But-" Chocolate protested, Scarlet hugged him and whispered something. He nodded and kept quiet, closely observing what Coal was going to do next.

Please don't do anything irrational....

Coal's PoV:

My eyes narrowed as I stared 'Janice' down, a conflicted expression flicking on her face. "Well..." she began, "he's been on previous missions, so he should be fine. Besides, his birthday is soon, right?"

"No!" I yelled, my hands balling into fists, "his birthday was the first of October. He's barely even nine-"

"However my first point stands."

"But I- he... he can't... we are NOT GOING ON THIS MISSION!" I hollered, feeling the rage build up inside me, but before I could do anything I would regret, I felt a hand on my shoulder, gently pulling me back a little.
My dad.

"It's okay" he whispered, "we'll be alright"

There was no way I was going to accept this happily, but my anger melted away a little. Heh, there's nothing I can do.

If I don't want to be a leader, then I don't get to make decisions. Just pick a role, Coal, and stick with it! You can't do one simple thing?

Well at least I don't argue with myself!

What are you doing right now?

......... shut up.

No :3

I HATE YOU!

You are me. You hate yourself?

No, I hate doubting myself-

Then stop doing it.

It's not easy, when you exist... just go away!

And why should I? You have the right to exist but I don't?

Can't you leave me alone for once? I want to be happy, and I can't with you here. Ya know... positivity. Like dad says.

Fine. But I'll be back and you know it.

Yeah... unfortunately...

"Coal!!"

"Huh?" I mumbled, looking up to Scarlet's concerned face.

"I guess you spaced out there, huh?"

"Y-yeah guess so... what's-"

"We're going now" she sighed "to the dropship..."

"No!" I protested, "we can't..."

"We will meet Teal there. And others"

"Others?!" I gasped. No no no this is not good, no... I trust our little Mira crew (ish), but NO WAY are we going on a mission with new people........

"It's okay. We're gonna be safe, okay?" Scarlet reassuringly murmured, hugging me tight.

I wish that I could believe her.