Chapter 39: A slow torture

“So what do you plan on doing during the Dragon Riding competition?” Lilly yelled from her tower. She’s been planning that damn competition all week, at first I had wanted to have a special thing for my entrance since this will be my first time watching in seventeen years but now I’m not so sure.

    I can’t get thoughts of Neverland’s involvement with the Malum out of my head. They’re the reason I was sent away so Peter couldn’t possibly know about it right?

    “I’ll just watch!” I yell back from my comfortable spot on my bed, my duvet wrapped tightly around my body in a warm embrace. It’s about midday and I haven’t moved. To eat, Wilfred made sure that the kitchen brought up enough to keep me happy since he knows how much I like food. Other than that and getting up to go to the bathroom I have remained in my cocoon all day.

    Athena on the other hand is hard at work trying to figure out who the imposter from Wonderland could be. For Lilly’s sake she roped Knox into helping her without really telling him what it is exactly that they’re looking for, all so he can’t go looking around for Lilly. That poor girl hasn’t left the room at all either. I don’t know exactly what she’s so upset about, it isn’t like Knox is the one from Wonderland, that would be the worst because it would mean he only got close to her to learn more information.

So while I sit here doing nothing Lilly is up in her tower planning the annual Dragon Competition. We have it every year, it’s Doom Island's favorite sport. Three qualified contestants race their dragons around Doomsland, starting at our famous Dragon Dome located at the center of the island, and all the way to Monsters cave near the farthest side of the island. I’m sure it will be quite the show with Lilly running it.

After a minute of so Lilly descends from her staircase and stops at the bottom, staring deeply at me “Were both miserable.”

Thank you miss obvious “I might have noticed…” I mumbled and distracted myself with a crease in my duvet.

I hear footsteps approach me and then my bed dips with the weight of another person. I look up at Lilly, her eyes are dark brown proving just how out of sorts she is, her hair is normal but you can tell she has run a stressed hand through it a few times today.

“Let’s make a deal shall we?” I look at her with a curious gaze “I will talk to Knox if you talk to Peter.”

“But I can’t talk to him.”

“Why?”

I think about it for a minute but I already have the answer, I just don’t want to admit it “Lilly there is no way Peter didn’t know about this. We’re together right now but as soon as I confront him about it I’m going to get the answer I don’t want to hear,” Sucking in a breath I gather up the courage to continue “If I go and talk to him, I know that it will be the last time.”

Lilly scoots closer to me and wraps her arm around me in an almost awkward embrace. Why is she hugging me? It then that I realize I’m crying, tears are spilling out of my eyes and running down my puffed up cheeks.

“You still have to talk to him Chloe,” Lilly advises and my heart breaks even more knowing she’s right.

“Peter can I talk to you?” I ask quietly as I approach him. My hands are held tightly behind my back to restrict myself from throwing myself into him embrace. He stands tall on the beach just beside the docks. When I step onto the warm sand I don’t make a move to remove my flats.

After getting up out of bed, finally, I just slipped on leggings and a baggy t-shirt, something I never wear but I just didn’t have the heart to put effort into my outfit today.

As soon as he hears my voice he turns from staring out at the magical water. He wears an instant wide smile on his face, his pearly teeth practically glowing. His real green eyes seem to twinkle at the sight of me and my heart breaks more with every passing minute.

    My eyes catch onto his green snap back the rests tipped up on his head, his black hair sticking out in a mess at the front. I choose not to talk but just to stare at him, dreading that this may be the last time.

    I take in everything about him, his high cheekbones, and his full lips. The boy that stands in front of me is perfect, and I thought that we were perfect. I suppose we still could be but the odds are stacked entirely against us.

    Peter notices my sad expression and his smile seems to vanish, and I doubt its return “What’s wrong princess?” He asks, his voice suddenly shaking.

    Gathering up any strength I have left I force myself to spit out the words “Did you know that when you mix fallen stars and pixie dust you generate a mass amount of power?”

    I’m surprised when more tears fall from my eyes, dripping down onto the sand, I had been convinced that I had no tears left to shed.

    You know how they always talk about the pure bliss of falling in love. I believed them and being with Peter it proved them right but… Ha, there’s always a but isn’t there? I guess when falling in love you can either learn to fly on the way down or you crash, breaking nothing but your heart. That’s true I suppose but standing here, looking at him, it’s not just my heart breaking, it’s everything I am that’s breaking.

    I want to stay here, I want to marry him, I want to forget about what he did, the role he played in my disappearance but I can’t, I have to break my own heart now or being with him with break me more and more with each coming day, a slow torture.

    “Who told you?” He whimpered, his own tears building up under his eyes.

    His words hit me like a truck, three simple words and I felt myself crumble. I could hardly stand let alone move.

    “You knew?” I sobbed, my chest began to heave with the need for more air. I couldn’t breath.

    Peter noticed me struggling and took a step forward to help my but I managed to hold out my hand to stop him. He looked as if he was a puppy and I had just kicked him. His face morphed into sadness and I knew that he was broken too.

    “You don’t understand! They needed to trade with me so they threatened me!” I stopped looking at him, deciding that the floor had hurt me less, the ground hadn’t betrayed me “I had no choice but to tell them to send you away! To take away your memory!” And that ladies and gentleman is when my heart actually stopped.

    Before I believed that he was just working with the people who took me away from my kingdom, my sisters, him but as I stand here I learn that it wasn’t the Malum that took me away. It was him.

    My body was numb, I couldn’t speak, I could hardly think. Peter knew it too, he knew we were over, he knew there was nothing left to say. So I walked away.

    I turned my back on the man I used to love and I walked away.

****Heyy if you liked this chapter please turn the star yellow... or white depending on the device your using! And be sure to comment your favorite or maybe least favorite parts? I welcome criticism!

Picture ^ or > is of nothing because I don't think there is a picture that can relate to the saddness of this chapter. Maybe I should have done a picture of a ship sinking? Don't worry I hate myself too.

Might be a little while before I update(Probably not). I need to be emotionally stable to write the next chapter. If you thought this was the worst... wait and see... 

Any way stay classy

TDD <3