Chapter 36: Queen Athena?

Why does everything I care about need to be destroyed? Do I not deserve happiness? Everything seemed to be going so well! I had this amazing boy that I liked, Lilly and me are now on good terms, we are close on the Malum trail, and Chloe is finally home.

I knew everything was too good to be true, my fate needed to balance out and it used Will to do so.

*Flashback

I shifted in the bed wincing in pain as a result. My entire body felt as though it had gone through the most grueling of workouts. Every limb ached and every breath came out uneven.

Slowly waking up my eyes focused on an unfamiliar, old wooden ceiling. I looked down at myself and noted that I was soaking wet for some strange reason… what had I been doing? Where am I?

The last thing I could remember was talking to Lilly about leaving the castle and then everything seemed so blank.

My confusing was making my head spin and with an aching hand I touched a stinging pain on my head. My fingers came in contact with a thick, wet substance. When I brought my hand down to my face all I saw was red covering my hand.

Blood.

With every ounce of strength I had left I lifted myself up in the bed to a sitting position and assessed the unfamiliar surroundings except there was one difference, this place was more familiar than I thought…

I looked around at the mess of spell books and positions that resembled my own back at home. Will.

With the thought memories seemed to flood my mind. I had left the castle to spend time with Will. I waited a while for him but then keeping to his word he finally showed up and then we kissed. I blushed and smiled at the happy memory dreading what's to come. He playfully wanted to jump into the water but I couldn’t because of my charm so Direction interfered and in fear Will had fallen in, dragging me alone with him. I remember the feel of hitting the cool silky water but I also remember hitting my head on something hard and after struggling for breath, the world had gone dark.

Now shaking with fear from the memories I notice a small mirror rested upon a wooden nightstand beside the bed. Taking in a deep breath and closing my eyes, I prepared myself for the outcome I grabbed hold of the mirror and held it out in front of my face. Gathering courage I finally opened my eyes to stare at the reflection of not a peasant but a queen. I had never hated looking at my curly brown hair and dark brown eyes so much before in my many years of life.

Suddenly the door flew open and in walked Will, carrying weird vials and bottles in his wet hands. His body seemed tense, his hair that usually stuck up everywhere was now soaked and falling over his wandering blue eyes.

As soon as he noticed that I was up his eyes clouded in shock and then his expression turned to something I couldn’t identify. He didn’t smile, he hardly acknowledged me, but what should I expect? He lives in the East End and I’m the Queen they all hate! I need to get out of here but there’s no way I could do that on my own. I’m weak and the chance of my magic working while still being soaking wet is very unlikely.