T H I R T Y - O N E

I released a sigh as my foot crossed the thresh hold

Home Sweet Home

"It's so nice to have you home, Jay," My father said coming up behind me.

His arm wrapped around me, squeezing my shoulder slightly as I smiled up at him.

"It's good to be home dad," I replied back my smile broadening as my mother came around the other side of me to give me another hug.

"The house was so quiet without you around love," My mother said once we pulled apart from one another.

"I was thinking we can have a movie night together, so you can tell us all about your trip," She suggested with a small smile, my dad nodding in agreement.

"I would love that," I exclaimed happily.

"Perfect!" My mother said enthusiastically.

The bright smile on her face made my heart swell, excited to spend time with my family later tonight.

However, through the excitement, the aroma of food filled my lungs.

"What are you making?" I asked out of curiosity.

At my words both my parents gave each other a knowing look.

"I'm not the one cooking," My mother started making me confused.

But, it only took me a second to understand the meaning behind her words.

Noticing the shift in my expression, my father grabbed my luggage from my hands, stating that he'll take them upstairs for me.

A grateful smile made its way onto my face as I thanked him before rushing into the kitchen.

"Nevah!" 

I let out in both delight and surprise as I stood at the entrance of the kitchen.

Lifting her head up from the pot of food before her, a smile blossomed on her face at the sight of me.

"You're back!" Nevah said happily

"Yeah, so are you," I said with a slight chuckle before pulling her into a hug.

"How was the honeymoon?" I questioned once we pulled away.

"Absolutely amazing," Nevah replied while letting out a dreamy sigh.

For the next twenty minutes, Nevah went on a tangent about her time in Italy. I listened attentively, a smile curling onto my face, happy she had a good time.

"Speaking of which, where's Noah," I asked noting his absence.

"Oh, I sent him out to get me some more flour for me, as I plan on baking an oreo cheesecake later," Nevah explained.

The mention of my favorite dessert made my eyes light up and my mouth water with anticipation.

Looking around the kitchen I spotted jellofrice on the stove, suya sizzling on the pan, and plantain cut up in a bowl, waiting to be fried.