T W E N T Y

"Remember to remain calm and composed the whole time

"Remember to remain calm and composed the whole time. I know the situation with your father is very delicate, but any comments said in the heat of the moment can be used against you and discredit your character." William stated as we went over the final details of the trial.

The trial was five days away and to say that I was nervous would be an understatement.

However, I managed to keep my composure, not wanting William and my mother to think I was having second thoughts.

I nodded my head at William's words in understanding.

"Though you are testifying, your father's lawyer can appeal to do a cross-examination. It is there he will grill you and try to get you to say anything that will work in your father's favor. It's vital you don't feed into his words and keep to your story. I'm sure you knew this was a possibility but I just want to mention it, though I trust you will handle yourself well." William said giving me a reassuring smile before piling up the files that were spread out on the living room table.

"Thank you, William," I spoke, genuinely glad to have had him here to coach me and make sure I was prepared for any and all situations that may occur in the court.

I admit in the beginning I was a bit hard on him, especially with the knowledge that he had feelings for my mother. 

But, seeing how happy my mom has been and the way he interacts with Kyle, made me appreciate William for being here.

Though I will never tell him that.

"Anytime Myles. This is a good family and I admire what your doing for your mother and brother. I have no doubt that the court will see what I see and your father won't have his way," Willaim replied as I nodded in agreement.

I collected the notes I made throughout our sessions, reminding myself to go over them tonight after training.

Before I could rise from my seat on the couch my mother entered the room.

"You guys done already?" She asked as she went to stand behind the couch.

I nodded as she smiled gently down at me.

"I'm proud of you," She said before leaning over to place a kiss on my cheek.

Her words bring a smile to my face, grateful to have such an incredible mother.

From my peripheral vision, I caught William staring at us in admiration. 

"Are you staying for dinner Will?" My mother asked hopefully as she turned her head in his direction.

"If you'll have me," William responded with a smile.

"We'll be happy too," She said a large grin appearing on her face her grey eyes shining with joy.

With a kiss to my head, she made her way into the kitchen.

I watched as William gazed at my mother with longing until she was out of sight.