V. Yvette Grimes: Missing Persons

"Hunters of who?"

        "Hunters of who?"

        "Hunters of Artemis."

        Cash finished his chore faster than what was expected. He had a sly look on his face, and judging by the semi-empty box he had in his hands, I'd say he didn't even try looking for stolen goodies. It was just in time for the roll call in the Hermes cabin. They all had to get to lunch together, and each cabin had to sit at the same table. It was like assigned seats at school.

        I sat at the Hermes table now—that is, until mom claimed me, which honestly didn't seem likely soon. I wiggled in my seat, trying to make a little room between Cash and Claire. Claire, as expected, didn't pay very much attention to me. It wasn't like I minded, she was not the type I'd like to hang out with, anyway. Turning my full attention to Cash, I took a bite of the salad I had gotten. To my delight, all the vegetables and fruits were grown here, and not delivered. It might be nice staying here.

        "And what do they do?" I asked, wiping my mouth on a cloth napkin. It was astonishing that there were so many people in this camp and they had cloth napkins.

        Cash munched on fries, trying to simplify his response. "Basically, Artemis picks a girl—girls only, by the way—whether demigod, nymph, mortal, whatever. Anyway, they become immortal and they help Artemis kill monsters. They also swear to hate boys forever or something."

        I glanced around, looking at the girls sitting at the Artemis table. They were all wearing white, all had their weapons on them as well. I was about to turn away when an Asian girl made eye contact. Her facial features seemed to twitch into curiosity, then something else. Anger, maybe? Furrowing my brows, I turned back to Cash.

        "What are they doing here?"

        "Ah," Cash chewed a piece of pizza, a gulped down some Pepsi. I grimaced at his lack of manners. "The snow is too high for them to actually hunt, so they're staying here until it clears. Hopefully they're not here by Friday, though."

       Again with the curiosity. I took a sip of my lemonade (the magic goblets were still crazy to me), and raised an eyebrow. "What's on Friday?"

        Cash gasped dramatically, almost falling on the cement floor. "Did I not tell you about the oldest camp tradition?! I'm truly losing my touch." He smiled, and took a gulp of his soda before continued. "Every Friday, that's Capture the Flag—"

        "That game we played in middle school?" I asked, interrupting him 

        "Yes," Cash answered, a little annoyed. Oops. "Except... it's kind of different. It's like, combining The Hunger Games with capture the flag. It trains us for real life, basically. The next game is Friday—hey isn't that your birthday?"