XVII. We Find a Hitchhiker

"No way

   "No way."

   Cash sat wide eyed, across the table from Gwen and I. We decided that opening the scroll while driving would be a bad idea. Also Cash had to pee. And also, I had to pee. Gwen also needed to pee. And we were hungry. What's better than pancakes from a 24 hour diner? Nothing.

   The light in the diner was dimmed, which kind of made it seem like this place was dirtier than it really was. This place must have been here since the 70s', with the furniture to match. Yellow striped booths lined the walls and the center of the building, the wallpaper was peeling a little bit but otherwise fine, and a jukebox was playing soft rock in the corner of the room. It smelled like coffee and sizzling bacon, and while I didn't eat meat, it smelled a lot like home. It was a miracle we found this place.

   I finished swallowing a piece of pancake and nodded. Oh so fluffy. Oh so sweet. I think I'm in love with these pancakes.

   "You're telling us that there are spies in the camps? Spies that have somehow got into camps guarded by a dragon and roman guards?" Cash wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, suddenly repulsed by the grilled cheese in front of him.

   Gwen shook her head and put her coffee down. She was running on two hours of sleep, and was the only one capable of driving right now, what with Cash's injuries and my having a permit but not knowing how to drive. "We need to tell Chiron. Now."

   "I think we should open the scroll first," I said. It sat in the center of the table like some sort of aesthetically pleasing centerpiece. We all were too scared to open it. "Besides, there are no rainbows right now. We can't contact him."

   Gwen shoved her empty plate away from her and put her backpack on the table in its place. Tucking her a piece of her long hair behind her ear, Gwen began digging in her backpack.

   "What are you doing?" I asked.

   "I'm looking for those glasses I got from that Empousa I killed back at Trivia Library. Where did I put them?" She grumbled, pulling out every weapon her bag could carry. I looked around, seeing if anyone else was watching. There were only a few people in here; a man with a fancy suit, scrolling through his iPhone, and what seemed to be a young girl reading a John Green novel. Why was she in a diner in the middle of the night by herself? She looked around eleven or twelve. But I suppose the same could be said about us.

   The girl looked up, and made eye contact with me. Her eyes widened a bit, and her brows furrowed. Oh crap. I was considered missing, right? I quickly pulled up my hood and looked at Gwen. "We should get out of here, quickly."

   "Hold on... and... found them!" Gwen said, pulling out the red librarian-esque glasses out of her bag.

   "What's so important about those glasses?" Cash asked, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

   "As a Hunter, I research monsters quite a bit. Earlier today I had a feeling these glasses could do something with the mist but I wasn't sure what. Then I put them on and, well, these absolutely can manipulate the mist. But I think we can use these to call Chiron."