VI. I See Red and Blue

Chatter was going around through the field, drowning out the sound of wind and Mr

   Chatter was going around through the field, drowning out the sound of wind and Mr. D trying to get the attention from the crowd. Looking at everyone here right now, I wondered how much time Gods have on their hands. There were so many demigods-maybe a hundred or two. Apollo seemed to have the most, that guy seemed to like... certain things. Did the gods take the time to get to know there kids? That was what worried me. If I ever truly figured out who my mom was, would even know me?

   My attention, as well as everyone else's, was drawn to Chiron, who trotted right in the center of the field. The crowd went silent, purely out of respect for the person who ran the camp. I glanced at Cash out of the corner of my eye, who was adjusting his breastplate. The past three days were pure torture. Because my schedule wasn't ready yet, Cash just skipped his classes to help me train. I had gotten better, but still, all the training left me sore. The armor on my back was threatening to send me crumbling to the floor.

   "Attention, campers!" Chiron bombed. He adjusted the cuffs of his shirt. Was he always wearing a vest? "As you know, the Hunters of Artemis have been at camp for three weeks. Hopefully, this game proves that you demigods can defeat the Hunters, while they enjoy their prolonged stay."

   Cash chuckled, and the rest of the demigods groaned.

   "What's funny?"

   "I don't think the Hunters have ever lost a Capture the Flag game, like, ever. In the history of Camp Half-Blood."

   My eyes travelled to the group of girls in white. Half looked eager, the other half looked bored. But the number of them, it wasn't a lot. Thirty, at most. There was no way they could beat us. Not against all these demigods.

   "Are you sure? There aren't many."

   Cash sighed. "Well, when it's a game like this, Chiron tries to make it even. They take a few campers from each cabin to go against the hunters."

   "And how is that decided?" I took off my helmet to readjust my braid. My head was covered in sweat.

   "Rumor is Mr. D pulls names out of a hat," Cash smiled. I put my helmet back on. That wasn't nice to hear. I was too sore to run-or even lift my sword arm-it would be awful to get picked.

   Chiron raised his hands in the arm to get the attention back; most were ADHD.

   "You know the rules!" Chiron yelled. "The entire forest is fair game. Each flag must be well displayed, and have no more than two guards. All magical items are allowed, including the magic of Hecate children-no fire! We learned our lesson the last time. The creek is the boundary line. No killing or maiming-punishment is no dessert for a week. Prisoners can be disarmed, but not bound nor gagged. I will be your referee and battlefield medic. I will now announce the demigods participating."

   He sounded like he was reading of a script.

   I crossed my arms over my armored chest. "Did he just say killing or maiming was punishable by deprivement of dessert? I feel like there should be a better-"