X. Green Mossy Little Thing

Ah, nectar

   Ah, nectar. How I love thee. In a bliss, a took greedy slurps out of my latte. Gwen, surprisingly, was very good at cooking. Using the leftover ingredients from the little cafe, she whipped us up some nice drinks. It was splashed with nectar, which did a nice job of healing my battle wounds. I've decided that scars wouldn't be too bad. I could show my grandkids and be a pretty cool grandma.

   But I probably shouldn't show them my boobs, because, you know, now they are riddled with claw marks. But that's for future me to decide, because we still need to find a way to get to California.

   Let's not forget about the library. We left that an absolute mess, but the mist would probably hide that from regular people. I did manage to snag a few books on plants, not that I needed to know but it would be nice to have them. And the bathroom did have a little sink, so we got to change and wipe the monster glitter off our bodies. My hair was still a little dusty, though. Cash said it complimented my complexion.

   I walked out of the library, closing the double doors behind me. The snow had died down, and was now falling in gentle flakes. Everyone needed a little break, even my mom.

   "Goodbye, Trivia. You would have been nice without the monsters." It was an amazing library, we lost something great today.

   "Yvette, can you stop talking?" Gwen muttered, kicking at the snow with her military-looking boot. "My head's killing me." She brought the coffee cup to her lips, and took a long gulp of it.

   I glanced at her with an annoyed look. "Sorry," I paused, and scratched my forehead. "I'm not sure if I told you, but I don't like my name. I hate it. So, if you could call me anything but Yvette, I'd appreciate it."

   Gwen rolled her brown eyes at me. "Beatrice hated her name too, it didn't stop me from calling her that." I narrowed my eyes at Gwen. For someone who supposedly hated my grandma, she sure did talk about her a lot.

   Trailing my eyes away from her, I noticed Cash sitting on a rock, flipping a drachma over and over again. He watched Gwen with a raised eyebrow, but she had yet to notice. There was something in his eyes, like aggravation mixed with curiosity. Finally, Gwen caught his eye, and glared daggers at him.

   "What do you want?"

   "It just occurred to me that we know nothing about you; not even your last name! I don't think I want to go on a quest with someone I don't know." Cash ended the sentence with a joking tone, but I wasn't so sure.

   Gwen ignored him and finished off her coffee. Lazily, she threw the cup in a trashcan by the door.

   "I'll start," Cash stood up and dusted off his jeans. "I was raised by my grandparents in Long Island. Now you go."

   Gwen looked at the watch on her hand. "It's almost one. We need to head to California somehow."

   I watched Cash's expression change. He looked at me for help, and I sighed. Obviously, Gwen was uncomfortable with his questions. I didn't want to force Gwen, but Cash's puppy dog stare was slowly breaking into my soul.