I. Something Destroyed My Living Room

The Poppies were wilting

        Well, even if they started wilting, they never succeeded. Their red petals were just browning, but I could fix that -- I always fixed it. Doesn't matter how but none of my plants have wilted. Strange huh? I'd been gardening since I was a little girl and not one flower, not one crop, has died if I took care of it.

        I stood in my bedroom, plants were on every shelf imaginable. Different flowers, vegetables and fruits. It was a sight to see, actually. None of my family wanted to come in here; because they were afraid of bugs (not one bug would eat my plants, if I had anything to say about it). It wasn't just the bugs; none of my family liking me was the other thing.

        I'm exaggerating.

        It was my mother and my older brother who hated me. Arthur always hated me, I don't know why. At school, I've heard rumors. Bad ones, ones that made me cry at night. Rumors that my mom wasn't really my mom. Compared to Arthur, our little brother Gabe, and our baby sister Amelie, I looked nothing like them. They were brown haired, hazel eyes, tan skin, like our parents. I was pale as snow, fiery red hair, and blue eyes. Dad always said I got my hair from Grandma Bea, which always made me feel better, but not enough. Pushing the thought out of my head, I finished watering the Poppy flowers.

        "There," I murmured, pushing a piece of red hair behind my ear. My bronze bracelet brushed against my ear and I smiled. Grandma Bea gave it to me for my 14th birthday last year. It's some sort of ancient bracelet that is very important, she keeps telling me. It's unbelievable that I haven't managed to lose it yet seeing as my 15th birthdays next week.

        "Yvette!" I heard the sound of mom's voice downstairs. She always used my full name, Yvette. I hated that name, I prefered Vetta, or Vet, even Evie -- even though it was a name of a Pokemon. My mother saying it was even worse. She always gave me the cold shoulder, cringed when I called her mom, never looked me in the eye. I frowned and looked at my feet. Red toenails, to match my hair. I had to do them by myself, mom never helped me with anything.

        "Yvette! Dinner is ready!" Her high pitched voice rang again. But there was a sad tone in her voice, always sad when I was around. My frown worsened as I opened the door to my bedroom. Right across from mine was Arthur's room. He wasn't that older than me. A year and two months, he just turned 16. On his door was a "do not enter sign", as well as caution signs and duct tape. The arguments he had with our parents was nerve racking. They wanted him to take them down, he called them bad parents, same old same old. I turned my head to the next door, Gabe's room. He was eight, and inside was what any eight year old boy had in their room. Toy soldiers, posters of video game characters, etcetera. I didn't like going in there; I like staying outside with the plants, and the birds, and the nature.

        Realizing I was late for dinner, I quickly ran downstairs -- almost tripping. The stairs entered to the outside of the dining room, and as soon as I rounded the corner, I was greeted with a green eyed glare. My throat went dry as a sat across from Arthur, and right by Amelie in her high chair. Arthur's eyes didn't leave mine, and I glanced down at my plate. A groan slipped out of my mouth when I noticed the steak on the plate. Mom and dad knew full well I was a vegetarian since I was 12; but they kept putting meat on my plate, though. It usually got fed to the dog, Buster. I quietly forked a pile of green beans in my mouth. Cold and slimy. I grimaced, earning my mother to glare at me for a split second.