II. Stympaneners

Growing up in New York, you tend to see a lot of big things

        Growing up in New York, you tend to see a lot of big things. Big buildings, big rats, I've even seen a pigeon the size of my head.

        But these pigeons were not the size of my head. They were taller than me. Their beaks and claws were bronzed and their eyes were black as night. Six of them stood in our living room, pecking away at our furniture and eating the potato chips left by Gabe on the now broken coffee table. As soon as we stepped into the room, all beaded eyes were on us.

        They all lunged at once. With his sword, dad blocked one's claws. He slashed it down and used his combat book to kick it between the eyes, before cutting it's head clean off. It turned to dust before my eyes. The fact that giant pigeons were attacking us didn't run through my mind, it was the fact they were turning to dust that freaked me out. No blood, nothing. It just.... vaporized. I snapped out of my trance as dad back me up against the front door, his back to me. Blinking, I was brought back to what we were facing.

        The biggest bird—most likely the leader—cawed at us. There was remnants of potato chip on his beak and even though I was behind my father, I could smell his musty coat. Dad gulped, and turned his sword to shield the two of us. Sweat trickled down the back of his neck. Why weren't the birds attacking? It seemed like they wanted to watch our fear.

        "Yvette," I snapped my head up. Dad was glancing over his shoulder, looking at me with his green eyes. "When I say go, I want you to grab the keys and bolt to the car. You understand?" I glanced up at the key hook by the front door. The keys to the Ford Explorer glinted. I rapidly shook my head.

        "I'm not leaving without you." I was not going to let my father get eaten by these... things. Sure, I was a vegetarian, but these were not friendly animals.

        "Trust me, Yvette! Just trust me! I'll be there soon, I promise."

        Bile rose in my throat as my hands shakingly reached for the car keys. I nodded slowly and dad turned his head to the birds. "Go."

        I flung the door open, the sound of birds cawing and my dad grunting filled my ears but I couldn't turn back. The black boots on my feet sunk into the snow as I made my way toward the truck. The sounds of my dad's grunting slowed down, and fear grew in my chest. Don't turn around, don't turn around. My conscience screamed at me but despite that, I decided to disobey. Biting my lip, I craned my neck behind me. He wasn't in sight of the door. He must have pushed his way inside. I shook my head, there was no time to think. He said he would be here. He promised me. Over the years, dad never broke one promise.

        Fumbling with the keys, I dropped them in the snow. "God dangit," I muttered, digging into the snow to retrieve them. My hands came back wet and cold, the keys were shiny from the snow.

        I finally got the key in the hole, and flung the door open. My backpack slipped off my shoulders and I tossed it into the back seat. As I pulled myself into the passenger seat, my dad dashed out of his house. My eyes widened at his state. His Yankees jersey was ripped to shreds, his pants had become shorts, and there was a terrible gash under his left eye. He limped toward the car, his sword still clutched in his hands. Pushing the ajar door open a bit more, dad jumped into the car.