chapter 20

Hey you guys 

Happy new year to all of you!!!!!!!!!

i am super sorry for the extremly slow updates....

Thank you for keeping up with me and fo yotur lovely messages of support!!!!!!!!

it really means a lot to me!!!!!!!! 

_____________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 20

They both got in the cab and Mike asked the cabdriver to take them to a restaurant that Nicky had read about in some magazine that one of the girls at work had brought with her. They had spent their break that day, wondering what it  would feel like to dine in that place. It was supposed to be the it place of the town, that all the rich and famous dinned on a regular base. The magazine claimed that people had to book a table months in advance and yet here they were heading to it on a “date” that he couldn’t have arranged before that very morning. Nicky kept thinking about it chewing her lip in the mean time, not knowing how to ask him if he knew about the booking schedule of that particular restaurant.

“Really Nicky, what is the problem? Have you changed your mind about us dinning together? I can nearly hear you thinking here” Mike said anxiously that she might not want to go out with him. She obviously brought to him all kind of insecurities he never had before and they were threatening to suffocate him.

“No, it is not that. I just… Well you see one of the girls at work brought a magazine one day that had an article about the place we are going. It said that you had to book in advance a table. And by saying in advance I mean months in advance. It is quiet possible that we won’t find something on such a short notice. Maybe we should pick another place.”

“Aaah! That explains it. Well you don’t have to worry about that my little sweetness, we already have a table waiting for us.”

“We do? But how? You couldn’t have planned this a long time ago. We don’t know each other that long”

“The owner of this restaurant is a well known chef that happens to have a little girl that is a big fan of my books. So he was more than willing enough to get us a table on a short notice. They always keep a few tables free for exceptional cases like this one” Mike said and winked at her way.

“So you just called him and he agreed just like that to give us a table? Wow it is amazing to be you isn’t it?” Nicky said in awe.

“Well no, I am not as a hot shot as you make me appear but he was willing to do me that little favour in exchange for granting him a favour of his own.”

“What kind of favour? I hope you didn’t get into too much trouble over this”

“It is no trouble at all and it wasn’t such a big deal. His little daughter has her birthday party in a couple weeks and he invited me to read some of my stories to his little girl and her friends. Apparently that will make her the star of her school and she will hero worship her dad after that. So one table on short notice, is not such a big deal after all now that I am thinking about it.” Mike said and smiled at Nicky his charming smile that never failed to turn her insides to mush.

So she sat on her side of the cab just looking outside of the window. It was funny how the buildings passed by quickly around her. She was obviously not used to that kind of speed, since she went everywhere either on foot or by bus. The previous day when she had ridden on Jane’s car she hadn’t had the chance to enjoy it with two over enthusiastic and super active kids on the backseat. The thought of her usual means of transfer made her feel conscious of her appearance. Her clothes were well worn and out of style. She new that, and even though she usually didn’t care what people thought of them, now that she would be accompanying Mike to a famous restaurant where people would recognise him, she was worried that she might embarrass him. She took a look at his clothes and saw that though casual, they were very well coordinated and stylish.  That wouldn’t do. She would look like a charity case beside him. She would just have to tell him to reschedule so that she could buy herself something more appropriate. That would cost her of course, her dream of taking a car, to be moved back a few months, but it was worth it. He was putting so much in this, it was the least she could do. Plus this looked like her only chance to dine with a charming man in what looked like a dream date. So she would be sacrificing one dream for another.

“Hmm Mike do you think your chef friend could keep our table for another time. Maybe in a week or so?”

“Why would you want to change our plans now Nicky? We probably are almost there?” Mike asked, all his insecurities coming back to bite him on the a..s.

“Well you know maybe we could arrange it on my next day off”

“Oh my God! What an inconsiderate jerk I am. You are tired from work and I am dragging you all around town” Now he felt like a fool. Of course she probably was tired. The café was a really busy place and she was most likely running around it all day.

“No no I am not tired, you aren’t a jerk, please don’t feel bad. This is the most touching thing anyone has ever done for me.” He definitely didn’t want to make him feel bad. He was so sweet to her. He didn’t deserve to feel the least bit rejected, especially by wallflower like her.

Mike cupped her face with both of his hands, loving the silky texture of her skin, but feeling the stress in her muscles at the same time.

“Then what is it sweetie? What has gotten you in all this stress?”

“I am not properly dressed for that kind of place”

"Nicky I am sure that whatever you are wearing is just fine! We are two people going out to eat together and enjoy each other's company. We are not going on some fashion contest where our formality of clothing will be judged. So do not worry about a thing and please stop thinking about nonsense like that"

His words didn't leave room for argument, so Nicky sat back at her seat and dreaded the moment they were going to enter the restaurant. She was sure that if Mike could see her attire he would have agreed with her that she needed to change.. Maybe even insist on it. Little did she know that his sister had already described him the kind of particular way she usually dressed and that he didn't care at all. He was not a superficial guy so that kind of thing didn't even register on his radar as a potential problem. He liked her for her witty conversations, her natural compassion and for the sweetness she projected. Plus he understood that the most probable cause for her lack of fashionable attire was the fact that she was a single girl without parents to back her up financially that was trying to make it on minimum wage.

Less than five minutes after their conversation ended they arrived at the restaurant. Nicky got out of the car and assisted Mike more out of worry, because he always managed to move around like a pro. They went to the reception of the restaurant and Mike asked to speak to Shane. Nicky guessed that Shane was the chef and owner of the restaurant but she was wrong. Apparently he was the maitre, because the waiter that met them on the entrance informed them that he was absent and that his replacement would be with them shortly. Less than a couple minutes later a man in a costume came to them and greeted Mike. After a giving Nicky a snobbish look he totally ignored her.

“Hello sir how may I assist you?”

“Hello I have reservations for a table, by the name Mike Dallop”

The substitute maitre checked his list of reservations and found one of the specially reserved tables under Mike’s name.

“Certainly sir. Here it is. Table for two. I will escort you to your table until your company arrives. If your help doesn’t mind, she can come for you when you’ll depart. We have a strict dress code so unfortunately we can’t let her in with you. Not to worry we will assist your every need.”

“What did you say?” Mike nearly yelled at him. He was furious!

________________________________________________________________________________

Hope you liked it!!!!!!

kisses to you all!!!