Nico blows up.

A/N - I am sorry.

*Will's POV*

He knew this wasn't going to go well as soon as he saw Nico's face before it was mostly covered by the hat.

The undialated terror in those eyes.

He knew Nico was crying, though he couldn't hear it, could see him shaking even from as far away as he was.

Shadows started to swirl around him, the lights flickering out.

Will could hear muttering, the other students wondering what was going on.

Will made a move to go up but Ron and Harry blocked him.

"Let me go!" Will hissed at them, "I need to help him!".

"No way," Ron hissed back, "Can't you feel it?" Until Ron had mentioned it Will indeed hadn't noticed, but the temperature had dropped to the point that it was just above freezing.

"You can't go up there." Harry said, "He's probably evil, you can practically feel the dark magic. He's not safe." Will opened his mouth to snap at him.

When Nico started screaming.

And Will knew what Nico was seeing.

Tartarus.

Cursing Will pushed past the two wizards, so forefully that both Harry and Ron tumbled to the ground at his feet. But Will was already sprinting up the aisle.

The next person to stop him was Professor McGonagall.

"William!" She cried, "You mustn't go in there, you have no idea--" Will shook her off and headed closer to Nico.

By now it was well below freezing, it being even colder this close to Nico. And all the torches had given out.

So it was dark.

Which is a very good thing, Will thought, particularly when the ground opened up and skeletons began to crawl out, but they didn't seem to be able to climb out of the pit.

Students were crying out in fear.

Hundreds upon hundreds of ghosts flew through the walls, omitting an unearthly glow over the fake room.

They seemed to not notice anything but the boy dressed all in black.

Floating toward him.

Will could feel himself crying, as he ran towards the wall of shadows blocking him from Nico. The shadows didn't try to stop him as he ran through them.
Once he was through they closed rank again, as if they were gates.

"Nico! Nico!" Will approached the small black haired boy.

He could barely hear the cries of the students and teachers now, all his attention focused on Nico.

It would be hard to tell from a distance but pure darkness was whipping around Nico, shadows, almost like wind.

Nico was craddling himself in a fetal position. He wasn't making any noise anymore but Will could tell he was completely undone.

That was when the first memory hit Will.

He squeezed his eyes shut but it was like the image was projected straight into his mind.

It was Will, telling Nico be was disgusting, that he was a monster.

That had never happened.

But it was almost worse to realize that this was what Nico dreamed about.

This was a nightmare.

"Nico, Nico, love, you're safe. I would never say those things. You're safe. You're safe. You're safe." Will reached out and touched Nico gently on the shoulder.

The other boy flinched.

"I'm not going to hurt you. I never will. Never." The hat had fallen off of Nico and Will glared at it.

This is all your fault he thought furiously at it, the hat, of course, did not answer.

Will tried again to touch Nico on the shoulder.

This time, Nico let him.

"I love you, I love you, Nico, I won't hurt you."
Will hugged him, and Nico flinched, but didn't move away.

"I remember the time you kissed me for the first time. You were so embarrassed. You're adorable when you blush. Did you know that? Remember how after you shadow travelled us the the factory you took me out for dinner after. You even held my hand. That was my favourite part. Even above the cheese you had in your hair for the entire trip." Will laughed, and Nico joined him, though it was more like a sob.

But it was still a noise.

"Can you look at me Nico?" Will asked, moving back only slightly so he could lift Nico's chin up so their eyes could meet.

He looked into those dark eyes, filled with so much guilt and pain, and so, so broken.

Will kissed him.

Nico sank into the kiss. It tasted like salt and Nico. It was more emotional then any kiss they had ever shared before, with Nico's memories flashing in Will's mind.

Because now he knew, don't get him wrong Nico had told him what he had been through, but seeing each memory, each moment in time, was different, closer.

"I love you." He gasped into Nico's mouth.

"I love you." He said again.

"I love you." Nico finished, voice raw from crying.

Will could have stayed like this forever, Nico in his arms, him in Nico's. Holding on to each other as if they were the only things that held them together.

The glue keeping them from breaking.

But Nico broke away, the moment the dark shadows covering them disappeared.

He hadn't noticed before but the lights had returned to the rest of the Great Hall, meaning they had all clearly seen the shadows whirling around the both of them.

Around Nico.

Slowly, so not to startle anyone, Will picked up the sorting hat, making sure to squeeze it a bit too tightly and put it back on its stool.

The hat was silent. And Will was internally wondering if they had broken it.

This thought was punctured with it's mouth opening up and screaming,

"GRYFFINDOR!"

No one clapped.

Will didn't expect then too.

They only stared as Nico stumbled back into Will's arms.

"Well," Nico said with a weak laugh, "That was one Hell of a first impression."

Sorry, sorry, as I said last time I've had this idea that Nico reacts very badly to being sorted and wanted to write it.
Vote, comment, tell me what you thought!

Word count: 969

Thanks,
- Nameunknown