chapter 9: His Moans Were Quieter than Jason's but Still Audible

IX

His Moans Were Quieter than Jason’s but Still Audible

Warning: strong language, panic symptoms.

“Oh my god,” the blond had bitten into the dough too early, burning the inside of his mouth with blood red tomato sauce, but the flavor of the pizza still made it to his charred buds. “Oh my god,” He said again, staring at the enormous slice in his plate like it was a gift from God.

“I know,” The blue streak replied, wisely waiting for his own piece to cool down. He rest his head in his palm, watching as the boy sitting across from him gulped down half his glass of water. “It’s insane.”

They were sitting at a table tucked in the corner of the narrow restaurant, lucky they even had a spot to sit down. Around them, larger parties struggled to fit five people to a bench, all crowding around the legendary deep dishes.

“And you’re saying this is, like, a basic pizza?”

“Yup.”

The blond bit in again, relishing the flavor of smoked tomato and cheese. “Can we get more?”

“Why not?” He finally tore off a chunk of his own slice, pulling it into his mouth like a professional. His food moans were quieter than Jason’s but were still audible. The pizza between them was finished in less than ten minutes.

Outside, a heavy rush of rain brought in around twenty more pedestrians seeking temporary shelter, soaking the customers who sat closer to the door.

“It’s a good thing we’re sitting back here,” Jason observed as a deft hand picked up the tray between them. “You come here a lot?” The fact that all of the four waiters stopped to converse with them had not gone unnoticed.

“I used to,” Percy nodded, uncrossing his legs under the table. “I know most of the people who work here because I took a part time job here a couple years ago.”

“…so do you cook?”

“A little.”

“Oh my god, can you make this pizza?” He pointed at the Four Cheese that had just been set between them.

“I’d need a pizza oven for that.”

“Can you make something similar?”

Percy dropped a slice of the sizzling pizza into his plate and licked his burning fingertips. “You want me to cook for you?”

“Can you?”

“I don’t know man, it’s nothing compared to this.” At Jason’s excited expression, Percy sighed. “Okay, sure. I can cook for you. When do you want to come?”

“To your apartment?”

Percy gave him an isn’t-that-obvious look. “Where else?”

“Oh, okay then,” Cool. Jason paused to take a bite and chew through his thoughts. Since he’d taken off half of rehearsal today he wouldn’t be able to miss anything else until the first show. “Is opening night okay? Next Monday,” He specified. After the show – that’d be at around ten. Too late?”

“Well, I’m gonna be there anyway,” Percy shrugged. “We can just walk back in a group.”

“A group? Are you bringing someone?”

Percy choked on his pizza and dropped it in his plate. Jason hurriedly passed him a glass of water and the green eyed boy took it gratefully. “Sorry. It was hot,” he lied.