The Bite

Disclaimer: I do not own Attack on Titan or this story.

Previously: Armin explains Annie might be the Female Titan. Some believe him, some don't, and some try to stay neutral. He keeps his suspicions about Annie's part in Marco's death to himself.

|~|

Levi fired the gun into the sky.

There was a loud, pitched noise. Everyone had their ears covered, flinching. "A noise grenade?" Eren said.

"What is your job?" Levi looked at his team. "To just let your emotions overwhelm you?"

Petra cringed, images of herself panicking and babbling running through her head. I should've figured Captain Levi wasn't acting without a plan in mind. It had galled her to see herself acting like a headless chicken while their captain had remained calm. She wasn't a new recruit, green as grass. I should've pushed the emotions aside and focused on my orders and stayed quiet!

"No, it's not. Our squad's job is to keep the brat from getting a single scratch on him." Levi turned back. "Even if it costs our lives."

It wasn't to keep watch on me? Eren thought.

"We keep going on our horses, got it?"

"Yes, sir," Petra answered.

"Keep going? For how long? And it's right on top of us," Eren looked back. The Female Titan continued in pursuit. "Again?!" Two Scouts reached her and she covered her nape.

They're going to die even though Eren's elite squad is right there. Christa thought sadly.

"The reinforcements! If we don't help, they'll be wiped out again!"

"Eren, eyes on the road!" Gunther yelled.

"Sir!" Eren said in protest.

"Keep your pace, full speed!" Erd said.

"But, Erd, why?! If Squad Levi doesn't defeat it, who will?" Eren demanded.

"My sentiments exactly," Jean muttered. Even though he had faith in Mikasa, he wasn't sure she could take the Female Titan down. Not yet at least. But if she'd trained with the elite squad, Mikasa would've gotten stronger and then she could have defeated her. His eyes flitted momentarily over at the right couch where the commander sat. Hell, if even Eren had trained to transform and fight in that form, he may have had a slight chance too.

Jean didn't believe Eren could defeat the Female Titan if it came down to just the two of them. Especially if—because—it's Annie. His jaw clenched.

Not only was Eren completely closed off to the idea, despite the proof, she was a better martial artist than him. Than all of them. And she's got experience as a Shifter. Eren's Titan's abilities—nonexistent that they were compared to the Colossal and Armored he suddenly realized—were known to her. Eren can't win and I'm not sure Squad Levi is properly trained for this. If that trap fails, they're fucking dead.

One of the Scouts flew at the Female Titan and she slammed him against a tree with the palm of her hand.

Eren gasped, "Another one's dead. And maybe we could've saved him!"