The Defeated

Disclaimer: I do not own Attack on Titan or this story.

Previously: The group is devastated when Squad Levi is killed. Eren swear no mercy against his enemies. Ymir decides to tell them about her after episode 25.

|~|

"He seems to have been bit right out of the neck. Is Eren dead?"

"He's alive," Mikasa answered, not a hint of doubt on her face, voice steady. "Our target seems highly intelligent, and capturing Eren is apparently her primary goal." She recalled the Titan ripping the teen out of the body. "If she wanted him dead, she could've crushed him in her jaws. Instead, she's carefully holding Eren inside her mouth while fighting to escape."

"Eating Eren may also have been her goal. If so," Levi said, "he would've ended up in her stomach. It makes more sense to assume he's dead."

Mikasa stayed true to her belief. "He's alive!"

He glanced at her. "I hope you're right."

She frowned lightly. "If only you'd protected Eren, this never would've happened!" Mikasa said accusingly.

Eren shook his head, "It's my own damn fault for freezing."

"You shouldn't have had to fight her in the first place. It only happened because we failed," Petra frowned.

"You guys only failed because you were misled about the threat and went in blind," Christa said.

"If anyone's at fault here—"

"Let's not play the blame game," Erwin interrupted Jean. "We're here for a limited time. I know it's easy to get caught up but we've been over this. Judgment calls were made and this is the result. We control the outcome now. Or at least this," he gestured to the TV, "gives us a high chance to turn the tides of this war in our favor."

"The deaths of the soldiers who have died on this expedition, and will die, will not be in vain. We will learn and we will prevent that from happening," Hange said.

"Now I see…" Levi turned to face her fully, realization dawning on his face. "It was you back then. You're Eren's close friend."

Mikasa looked at him skeptically.

"We'll focus all our manpower on one goal. First of all, forget about killing the Female Titan."

The two continued to fly through the forest.

"But she killed so many of our comrades!"

Eren, Mikasa, Christa, and many of their fellow recruits nodded.

"So long as she can crystallize her skin, there's no way we can kill her. Trust my judgment. We'll keep hoping that Eren is still alive, and attempt to rescue him before she leaves the forest. I'll hack her up…" Levi readied his blade. "You draw her attention!"

Their heartbeats began to pick up simultaneously in excitement.

"Yes! Tag team!"