03

prejudiceepisode: 03

prejudice
episode: 03

❦ the sun had already hit her windows, beams peeking through her blinds

the sun had already hit her windows, beams peeking through her blinds. her eyes sore from last night, her stained cheeks covered with dry tears as she hastily got up. her eyes still sealed shut as she struggled to keep it open, accepting she couldn't get up she quickly slumped back in bed, letting a satisfied sigh escape her lips.

a knock could be heard thumping against the wooden door, she forcefully opened her eyes as shuffled to the unknown perpetrator. she opened the door and looked down, seeing megumi's dull eyes staring at her with no certain expression at all.

"what is it?" y/n asked, focusing her eyes at him as megumi's eyes look away from her but quickly drifting his gaze back to her.

"breakfast please," he asked politely, his cheeks tinted with a slight red blush, smiling at his odd behaviour she put her hand on his head and ruffled his hair before exiting out her room with megumi waddling behind her.

monitoring the condition of the house, it was surprisingly tidy. picking Megumi up and sat him down on the kitchen stool as you scurry to make him breakfast.

tidying up the kitchen as you serve megumi pancakes as well as milk, propping all the used dishes to the dishwasher and sat beside megumi. slicing the pancakes into bite-size pieces as she watched him eat.

"hey megumi, where's your father?" she asked, waiting for megumi to swallow before responding to her.

"he went to work" he replied, quickly eating again.

massaging her temple, trying to comprehend what to do in the meantime, as well as the issues about her attempt to run away it will surely make toji wary of her in every manner. trying again now would enrage him because I would have deserted megumi, she knew he didn't deserve that; especially since megumi didn't know anything that's happening between their marriage.

she fiddled with her fingers, looking around and noticing the clear shelves. she shivered at the impression of heading outside as she would be the centre of attention being known as the infamous stepmother who knew nothing at being a decent mother and a wife to her husband. propelling those thoughts at the back of her head, knowing what she needed to do.

quickly putting away megumi's empty plate Inside the dishwasher, walking to her room to change into appropriate clothing, slipping on a thin jacket and a change of pants. going to megumi's room and pulling out clothing for him as well as she went to megumi, who only looked up at her.

"megumi, we need to go to the market okay?" she said as he nodded in response, too listless to respond with a proper yes or no.

she stripped him of his pyjamas and changed him into an outfit with complementing colours. grabbing money toji left for them and a pair of earphones, kneeling and adjusting them into megumi's ears. connecting them to a phone as he was completely oblivious of his surroundings but still manage to shift his focus onto his mother.

shoving the money down her purse and wearing it over her shoulder, finally heading out. immediately she felt skittish under the stares of her neighbours, inaudible whispers surrounded her as she could only bit her tongue back.

'she's shameless! after pulling a stunt like that?!'

'how pitiful, look at that child! he looks like he's been starved! probably because of her cooking'

'she should be thankful that her husband bears with her childish attitude!'

her throat clogged up, how did they know about yesterday? just by the way they speak it was all too obvious that they were aware of the events that took place yesterday. her grip on megumi's hand tightened, looking up to her and noticed his uneasiness; she appeases his discomfort and finally entering the small grocery store.

removing megumi's headphones off, grabbing a basket as megumi's hand grasp on the hem of her jacket, grabbing onto her as she smiled. finally being able to shop peacefully.

that was, until.

picking out chicken from the freezer section as a boisterous whistle could be heard along with the finger-snapping, she looked back and saw a familiar flock of women smiling at her.

pulling megumi close to you, blocking him from them as you return their false smiles.

"we heard about what happened" one stated, earning a couple of mocking laughs from the others.

"yeah, you could always come to us," she said once again.

"but bring your husband with you" she added as they all burst into fits of laughter.

grabbing her desired item on her cart as she quickly walks away from them but still blocking megumi out of their sights as she sighs, finally fleeing from them. megumi who pulled her jacket motioned her to look at him.

"why were they laughing? " he asked as you shake your hands dismissing whatever assumptions he had.

"nothing megumi, those were my friends" she responds as he nods, still sceptical of her explanation.

leaving the grocery store, thinking everything has calmed down no, watchful eyes stared at her. clasping onto megumi's hand as she used her other hand to lift the groceries, pulling megumi forward, motioning him to walk faster as he obeyed her silent command.

'poor child, look at him just being dragged away by that wench'

'no wonder why they have a child, it isn't even hers! honestly, I can't blame the husband for making love to another woman'

her legs tremble at that specific comment, she rushed megumi out of their sights as they finally reach the house, letting megumi enter first and locking the door shut, quickly dropping the groceries on the floor. her legs giving up, a loud thumping noise produced by her falling to the ground.

"y/n?" he called out but she didn't seem to respond.

"a-are you okay?" he asked again, but she struggled to reply.

her heart pounded against her chest, as she was breathing rapidly with tears starting to stream down her face.