Chapter 12

* Kathleen *

I looked down at the text from Jacob . And shook my head . 

Why ?

I sent .

* Jacob *

My phone buzzed and I looked down to see Kathleen's number . Why ? Really ? Why ? That irritated me a little . 

Because I think we need to talk .

I sent her back .

* Kathleen *

I looked down at my phone , this time glaring . 

Obviously .

I replied .

* Jacob *

I growled and looked down at the text , slamming my fist into the wall with irritation . I didn't text her back . I wouldn't text her back .

* Kathleen * 

My phone stopped buzzing and part of that made me sad . The other part of that was just happiness that Jacob Black had finally left me alone . That was a good thing, right ? I didn't know what was good or bad anymore . I didn't know what feeling was anymore . I only knew the safeness of the numbness I'd known for so long . And why I'm numb ? Because if you don't feel , you can't get hurt . The movie ended and on the way out , we didn't see Seth as I'd expected we had . Paul dropped me off at my house and walked me to the door , pecking me on the lips , planning to pick me up tomarrow for a walk . I said yes , just to get back to the safety of my room and he didn't seem to notice . I walked inside and I hadn't even sat down 5 minitues when the doorbell rang . I walked over and answered it , seeing none other then the dashing Mr. Jacob Black .

" We need to talk . " he said sternly . 

I held up my phone . 

" I know . I got your texts and you clearly didn't get mine . "

He shook his head and sighed , shoving his hands in his pockets .

" Walk with me . " he said .

I crossed my arms . 

" Sure . When you get back from hell . " I said nicely .

Jacob shook his head a second time and walked back off the porch , motioning me to come . For once in my life , I listened . I slid my phone in my pocket and walked out , following him . We walked in silence down the road of the development for a moment and I kicked a rock with my shoe . 

" I'm sorry . " he finally said , not pulling his gaze up from the ground .

I kept my gaze to the ground , not really caring what he had to say. I kept quiet . 

" Say something . " he finally said after a moment , looking up at me .

" What do you want me to say ? " I asked with a shrug .

" I don't know .... " he muttered .

We were silent once again . 

" I'm not sorry for kissing you though . " he added , looking over at me .

I sighed . 

" Doesn't matter anyways . " I replied , crossing my arms .

" What do you mean ? " he asked .

" Paul and I . We're a thing . " I stated .

He froze , clenching his jaw as he tried to control his temper and look at me . 

" What ?! " he asked as calmly as he could manage .

I looked at him and arched an eyebrow unimpressed . 

" Apparently we're a couple now. He took me on a few dates . " I replied as if it was nothing .

Jacob shook his head . 

" Why him ? I mean , why are you even interested in dating when you're only here for the summer ? " 

" Because I don't want to be bored and lonely and you know what ? I'm okay with being bored and lonely . Know why ? Because 99.99 % of people are exactly like YOU ! " I hissed , heading back towards the house .

Jacob sighed and grabbed my shoulder gently . 

" I'm sorry ."

" Twice in one day . Aren't I lucky ? " I asked sarcastically , pushing past him  .

He jogged , trying to keep up with me as I walked away from him . 

" I just .... " he trailed off , scratching the back of his head awkwardly . 

" You just WHAT ?! What is it ?! Spit it out ! I don't have time for people who dissapoint me ! " I finally yelled as loud as he'd been a moment ago .

He looked surprised by this and cleared his throat . 

" I just ...... want to make sure you're okay . " he stated . 

" What gave you that indication ? Huh ? What gave you the indication that I need someone to make sure I'm okay ?! I'm just fine ! I'll be even better when I get the hell out of this one pony town ! " I exploded .

Jacob put his hands up defensively . 

" I didn't know caring was crime . "

" It is in my world . Nobody ever truly cares . Nobody . No matter what they say or what they do , nobody truly cares about you and everyone is replaceable . " I said , lowering my voice .

" Who told you that ? " he asked , surprised . 

" Nobody had to tell me . I found out first hand . Stay out of my face and get out of my way . " I snapped , pushing away from him .

Jacob spun me around and pulled me into a hug .

" What the hell are you doing ?! " I demanded .

" Hugging you . " he said .

" Why ?! Do I now have a sign that says " Free hugs ? " I said , still fuming with anger .

Jacob sighed and pulled back , brushing a stray hair out of my face , shaking his head.

" Something tells me that you just need someone to care . As much as you hate it and as much as I know you'd never admit it . " he said, looking into my eyes.

I bit my lip and narrowed my eyes at him . 

" I do. I have Danica . "

Jacob shook his head again, giving me a small smile as he gently brushed his lips against mine for the slightest second . I pulled back and ran a hand through my hair .

" We're not doing this again . Besides , I'm .... dating Paul . And you basically walked out on me last time . I expect you to do the same thing the second time around .  I mean it . Stay out of my face and get out of my way . Move . " I said , pushing past him as I walked back inside .