Chapter 8

Rosie's Pov

"I wonder what all that was about." Curtis says to me after watching James brush past him like an upset child.

"I'm not sure." I reply in a concerned tone.

"He's the only new person here who's actually shown me some kindness. I just hope I don't turn out to be wrong about him."

I look over to find him gazing angrily out the window.

"I'll try and see what's wrong. Wait! Or should I stay out of this? What if he doesn't even like any of us at all?! What if he really is James Dean's secret twin and his parents shipped him off here because he's the evil brother and he's just pretending, but in all reality he's going to lure us in and turn us into evil minion slaves!!!!!"

Curtis stares at me as I try so hard to catch my breath.

"And you're supposed to be the smartest of all of us." He says in a playful monotone.

We both chuckle as I lay my face in the palm of my hands, embarrassed that I've proven yet again to be a ridiculous over-thinker.

"I know it sounds insane but I just can't stand it when I can't tell what's wrong with someone. He's done this before you know? Monday. At the lunch table. And I thought we had a pretty good friendship going but we've hardly talked all week, and I am so sorry you came in here for a reason and all of my rambling is keeping you from class-"

Curtis cuts me off, grabbing both of my hands realizing that I was truly bothered by this situation.

"Hey, shhh. Listen it's alright. If anyone can turn a man to mush and get 'em to talk it's you. I haven't met a single person on this campus who didn't dig you. If you ask me, he's got the hots for you." Curtis assures with a smirk.

I look up with a confused and denying expression. "Me? C, no."
I gaze over at James, disbelief present in my eyes.

"He does too. Why else would he get upset every time you're talking to me?. Talk to 'em Ro. If anyone can it's you."

I shake my head to let Curtis know I understand everything he's saying.

"Now, can I have a bandaid? My knee has been bleeding since I walked in."

My eyes grow wide as we burst out into laughter. I help him around the desk and leed him to the nurses office which was right next door.

"If you need a change of pants I can walk you to the gym?" I offer, looking at the blood stain on his khaki pants where his knee should be.

"Nahh I've got it. Thanks Ro." He says, pecking the side of my face with his lips.

"No problem C." I say waiting until he walks fully inside the office.

"Don't hurt him too bad when you're done stitching him up Oli." I say jokingly to the school's male nurse Oliver.

Letting out a faint chuckle, he replies "Yeah right, Curtis is like superman. He'll heal overnight."

I giggle, closing the door and returning back to my office desk.

Ro was something Curtis called me on occasion. It was never when people were around, but always when something was troubling me.

I always loved that nickname because it came from him. It was our thing.

For a second I was able to forgot everything that had happened ten minutes earlier.