Chapter 2: James

"Are you excited to start your new school?"

My mom asked, anticipating a gleeful "yes!". But the truth is, I wasn't excited. Not one bit.

I'm James. James Martin.

I'm originally from a small town in California, but when my dad got the bright idea to cheat on my mom with his assistant after 18 LONG years of marriage, my mom finally turned on the thinking switch in her brain and left him. I'm happy she finally got away from him, but Atlanta? Not so joyful.

"Ahh yes. I'm so excited to return to the Academy of Privileged Ass-Holes." I said in the most impressive sarcastic tone. Although, it didn't seem to impress my mom.

She turned around with her head tilted and her eyebrow raised. "James please. I asked you to stop speaking of your father's school that way. You know he's the principal there."

I rolled my eyes as I stared angrily at the plate of breakfast in front of me.

"STEP-father." I mumbled so I wouldn't upset my mom anymore this morning.

"Emphasis on the step."

I heard behind me as my least favorite person on God's green earth entered the kitchen.

Michael.

My moms new husband, hence, the reason we're here in Atlanta, hence the only reason I'm attending the stupid private privileged school in the first place.

"Did I not tell you honey? Sunset is shut down because it's under reconstruction. We'll be attending Redwood this school year." Michael said as he buttoned up his suit.

I immediately looked up at my mom as the biggest grin grew upon my face.

She smiled back at me, realizing what this meant. "I can finally play baseball again!"

I stood up from the chair as my mom stretched out her arms for me to give her a hug.

"This is amazing baby! Atleast you'll have a little piece of home now."

Back in California, I was the star player on my high school's varsity baseball team.

I was only in the tenth grade at the time, but I'd been playing baseball since I could remember.

They had sports at Sunset, but not any of the good ones.

"Don't get too happy now." Michael chimes in ruining the moment as always.

"Redwood is filled with... interesting people."

I pulled away from my mom to look at the arrogant butt wipe that stood in front of me. "I beg your pardon?" I asked, knowing exactly what he meant.

"I'm just saying don't expect them to take you in and let you be apart of their team. You know how blacks can be." He said, senselessly.

"Micahel!" My mom said, disgust clear in her voice.

"What have I told you about speaking that way." She said before turning to me.

"James, don't listen to him. Being black doesn't make you unkind. I'm sure they're going to love to have you as a member on their team."

She finished, going over the dimple in my cheek with her thumb.

"I know mom." I said while looking Michael up and down in disgust.

After snapping out of the angered trance Michael put me in I walked back to the chair to finish my breakfast, when it hit me.

"I'm going to wear my old baseball jersey."

My moms face lit up. "Let me go and grab it before you have to go! I'll even iron it so it looks nice for the girls."

She said before I could reply telling her there were absolutely no girls I was going to be bringing home this year.

Not because I couldn't, but because I didn't want to. I don't need a girlfriend now.

Besides, I was scared of treating a woman the way my dad treated my mom.

By the time I finished my breakfast I had about fifteen minutes before my mom dropped me off at school.

She finally came out with my jersey, and held it in front of me with a proud look.

My red white and blue jersey read "Martin" in white letters with the number four imprinted on the back.

"Thanks mom." I said as I rushed to my room to put it on.

I threw my old team jacket over it and was pretty content with the way I looked.

With 10 minutes to spare, I walked out of my room and headed toward the car where I'd wait for my mom.

As I heard the drivers side open, I was surprised to see Atlanta's villain.

"What are you doing Michael?" I asked him with my head slanted over, resting on my hand.

"We're going to school." he replied.

"We're?" I asked, sitting up straight.

"Yes. I just got the job there. Say hello to your new biology teacher."

I rolled my eyes in annoyance. No. More than annoyance.

I already hated him being the principal at my old school, but at least I could avoid him.

I never got in trouble which meant no trips to his office, but now? I have to see his stupid face every single day. Great.

The car ride was silent, as I had no interest in anything Michael had to say.

When we finally arrived there was a huge group of people standing in front of what I assumed to be the front of the school.

I grabbed my back pack from the back seat and got out of the car, closing the door behind me.

As I got closer to the school I noticed everyone staring at all of the Sunset kids that entered the building.

Well, welcome to Redwood.

                                **

Heyy❤️

This has got to be one of my favorite chapters!!

I'm so excited for you guys to see where I'm going to take James' character !!

This is gonna be goooddd! Stay tuned! xxx