Chapter One: Rosie

Hi

I'm Rosie; Rosie Davis. Rosie Sherline Davis if you're my dad and I'm taking too long in the bathroom during breakfast time. Yes I know, my dad sounds like one tough cookie, but my momma says he's just old- school. I guess he has no choice but to be that way. We didn't have the best life growing up. Dad was always getting denied job opportunities, which resulted to him coming home upset. One thing I've never seen him do though, was give up.

"ROSIE SHERLINE DAVIS!" I heard my dad exclaim from our downstairs kitchen. See, I told you.

I continued to perfect my ruby red lipstick as I tried my hardest to rush downstairs for breakfast, so he wouldn't have to call me a second time. I took one more look in the mirror as I adjusted my pearl earrings and matching necklace. Momma gifted me this jewelry, along with the most beautiful dress. It fit my petite body so perfectly, and the white creamish color looked so perfect on my clear brown skin. I smiled one last time at my reflection before turning around and rushing down the steps.

As I entered my neatly kept kitchen, the smell of my favorite breakfast food entered my nose, making my stomach growl in hunger.

"Wow momma this all smells so good. Thank you for breakfast." I said to my mom as she placed a piece of toast beside a plate filled with eggs, bacon, grits, and potatoes.

As she turned around and smiled, she was about to thank me for my compliment on the food, when her smile dropped and her eyes began to glisten.

"Oh my goodness." She whispered, placing both of her hands above her heart.

"My little girl. Well not so little anymore! I can't believe this is your last year of high school!" She exclaimed, rushing over to me so she could ensure I had everything on perfectly for my first day of school.

"Ugh, momma please. I look fine! I did everything like you taught me, stop or you're gonna mess it up!" I said jokingly as she searched for any hair out of place.

"Diane, she looks beautiful. All that time she spent up stairs I'm surprised she didn't come out looking like another person." My dad said behind the news paper he was reading.

We all laughed and my mom finally moved away to serve us our breakfast.

As we began eating, I noticed my dad was still reading the paper.

"Anything interesting in there this morning daddy?" I asked, before filling my mouth with eggs and grits.

"Actually, yes." He replied.

Intrigued, I sat up straight and finished chewing the food that was in my mouth before continuing on with the conversation.

"Well, would you mind sharing it with us?" I asked patiently, trying to hide the fact that I was actually growing eager.

"It says here that Sunset Ridge was shut down because some kids decided to sneak in during the summer and burn it down."

Rolling my eyes, I began to speak with a sassy tone. "I don't understand why this is what kids do for fun. Can't they just read a book or something." I let my dad continue, knowing there was more to the story.

"It looks like all of the kids from Sunset will be attending Redwood High for the fall and spring terms."

A confused expression grew on my face. "...But I go to Redwood.." I said as my parents stayed silent.

"Sweetheart we know." My mom finally said. I grew a bit frustrated as I realized they weren't seeing the bigger picture. "Sunset Ridge is a private school. An all white private school."

My dad drug his hand down his face before taking a deep breath and responding.

"Listen to me. You keep your head on straight and don't let anybody discourage you. You are just as smart and beautiful as any other human being attending that high school. No matter what you keep being yourself and stand your ground. Don't crumble or change for anybody."

My mom looked across at me before placing her hand on top of mine. She gave a slight smile but I could tell she was fighting back fear.

"You're right daddy. I'm gonna go in there and do what I've done every year. Get my education." I convinced them and myself.

"That's right baby. now put on your shoes and grab your school bag before you're late!" My dad said before kissing my cheek and grabbing my bag from a chair in our living room. I slipped on my white flats and headed for the door.

"Have a great first day sweetie we love you!" My mom shouted as I walked out of the door.

The hot Atlanta sun was beaming down on me, as I headed up the street for a few blocks to attend high school for the last year of my life.

What a year this is going to be.

**

As I finally reached the front of my school I scanned the area for my two best friends, Yvette and Nia.

They were both twin sisters, two of the prettiest girls in school actually.

All I had to do was spot one of them, because the other would be attached to her hip.

When I finally gave up my search for them, I heard a loud 'boo' and felt two sets of hands shake my arms.

As I turned around frightened, I was so happy to see my best friends.

They were dressed in matching red and white polka dot dresses. They were perfectly corresponding with one another, down to their socks. The only difference was their hair. Yvette decided to wear her light brown hair down and curled, something sort of like mine. Nia wore her dark brown hair pinned up, showing off her natural beauty and perfect brown skin.

"You both look so gorgeous but that's nothing new." I said grabbing a hold of Yvette's dress as my eyes scanned the details of the polka dots.

They both giggled and Nia responded. "Oh please have you seen yourself! Your hair looks absolutely perfect." Yvette cut in "Honey, Dorothy Dandrige couldn't even if she tried!"

We all laughed amongst ourselves before being interrupted by some sort of commotion going on in the parking lot of our school.

As we headed toward the chaos, I tried to think what all this commotion could be about.

My mentally made questions were shortly answered as I spotted a new girl I had never seen before walking up, entering the school.

She had blonde hair and silky white skin. Her hair was up in the neatest ponytail I have ever seen.

Her skirt and matching jacket looked as though they cost more than my entire outfit, and right away I knew.

Sunset kids.

                               **
Hello everyone !!!

My name Is Kay, and I know I don't have much going on for my profile lol, but I am currently making some changes for you guys!

I'm still learning how to connect with the audience, but I started this story in early January of 2021, and I absolutely love writing it! I hope you guys enjoy reading it just as much!!

If you have any tips of pointers for me, or would just like to talk, please feel free !!! Thank all of you so much, Enjoy xxx