How Could She (Kyler's POV)

I tried to comfort Alice as she sat in the seat beside me and cried. She wouldn't even turn to look at me. I grabbed a hold of her and moved her so she was crying in my shoulder and so I was some-what holding her in my arms.

"Alice?"

"Kyler..." She said as she sobbed.

"Do you need me to walk you home?"

She didn't answer. I just held onto her until it was our stop. We got off and she ran into my arms. I never felt more need then I did right now. I started to walk towards her house but she stopped.

"I can't go home yet. I can't let Martha and David see me like this."

"Ok let me text Martha and ask if you can come over." I knew she didn't have Martha's number in her phone

My text reads "Hey Mrs. Matthews, I was wondering if Alice could hang out at my place for like an hour or so?"

She texted back faster than I ever thought she would. She said. "Yea, but dinners at 7 and she can't be late."

"Okay, thanks."

"If you want you can eat dinner with us tonight and the guest bedroom is always open."

"Thanks Mrs. Matthews."

She knew my mother was going out of town tonight and that my mother didn't like it when I was home alone so she would normally send me over to Matthews since they lived right down the road.

"Come one Martha said that as long as I had my stuff packed and had you home by seven you could come over for a little bit."

"Your stuff packed?'

"Yea my mom goes out of town twice a month. She tells me that I should stay at the Matthews place because she didn't want me alone in my house. At least not alone. She hates leaving in general. So leaving me alone in a big house by myself makes her upset because she feels like she's a bad mom because she has to leave to leave me here all alone a lot."

"Oh. That makes sense. At least she lets you go to my foster parents house so you're not alone. My foster family seems to care about you. Even Lexi. She hated that I called you a stalker and stuff like that."

"That's my Lexi. She acts like she doesn't care but in reality she does. She cares about you, you know."

"I doubt that there is no way that she cares about me. She just met me there's no way that she cares about me like she cares about you. Your like family to her is just the girl who just takes up a room in her house. She probably wants me to leave."

"That's not true, I've talked to Lexi. She cares about you more than you know. She just doesn't show it because she doesn't want that to go to your head that she likes and cares about you. If in being honest Lexi sees you as a sister she always wanted."

I could tell by the look on her face that she didn't believe a single word I just said. She didn't want to believe it because she knew that it meant that she was starting to fit in. She didn't want to fit in when it came to Matthews because she knew that as soon as she did that she would feel like she betrayed her parents. She knew that as soon as she believed it then that meant that she would have to stop trying to get herself moved to another house and that she would have to show that she cared and I knew that the last day that she showed someone that she cared was the last day she saw me before she moved away to the foster family that was supposed to adopted her. She stopped caring that day and she told herself that she wasn't going to care ever again no matter what.

A.N.