25. The Tale of the Two

Warning ⚠️  mentions of verbal and physical abuse

Reggie's POV
Don't get me wrong I love my new family. Alex and Carlos are my brothers , Julie is my sister and best of all Ray is my dad now. I couldn't be more happy. However, I still stay awake at night thinking about what life used to be like for me. It wasn't butterflies and puppies and every now and then even the slightest raising of voices or seeing a belt makes me burst into tears. I try to hide it as best as I can but everytime I hear it see those things it all comes rushing back.

I came home late from band rehearsal dreading what I knew was coming. Because I was already late I decided to stop at the grocery store to buy some food cuz lord fucking knows no one else was gunna buy it since it's already been 2 weeks. I brace myself before twisting the doorknob an do heading inside. I walked right over to the kitchen setting the groceries on the counter hearing my parents in their room arguing as usual.

Mom : YOU COME HIME AFTER A FULL DAY OF BEING AWAY WITHOUT ME KNOWING AND NUST THINK ITS OKAY TO BRUSH IT OFF?!

Dad : WELL YOU SHOULDNT GIVE A SHIT CONSIDERING THAT YOURE SLEEPING WITH JERRY WHORE!

Mom : MAYBE IF YOU WERE HOME MORE I WOULDNT NEED TO GO TO OTHER PEOPLE

Dad : FUCK YOU IM GOING DOWNSTAIRS

Great here we go.

Dad : WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN

Me : A-at band practice it ended late and I also went to buy groceries

Dad : GET ME A FUCKING BEER YOU PIECE OF WORTHLESS SHIT

I ran out of the room to quickly grad him a beer even though it looked like he had 7 by now.

Dad : You shouldn't waste time on that stupid ass band

Me : But dad it's what I love

Dad : THE FUCK YOU SAY?!

Me : I said it's what I love and yeah I was late but that's only because I was buying the groceries no one else has

Dad : OH THATS IT YOU LITTLE SHIT

He took off his belt and began hitting me. Over and over and over. I had bruises and scratches from previous times but this time was worse. He dropped the belt and hit me straight across the eye causing a giant bruise to form around my eye. That's it I have to leave. When he was distracted I pushed him making him falling over crashing into the table. This was my chance. I packed up as much clothes as I could find into a bag and ran out the door. Next thing I knew I was at Luke's apartment. He stays there by himself ever since he ran away. I dropped my bag and knocked on the door.

Luke : Oh hey what's u- woah buddy what happened to your eye?

Reg : I got out Luke. I couldn't take it anymore with them telling and screaming and the beating and the belt and and-

Luke : Hey hey it's okay come on you're living with me now

Reg : you sure I don't want to bother you

Luke : Just come in will ya?

Reg : Thanks Luke

Luke : Ofc Reg

That memory stays in the back of my head call the time on constant repeat. However things are different now I have a perfect loving family with the greatest band and friends in the world. I couldn't ask for a better way.