Chapter Thirty-Two: Sneaky

Scout~

Matty and I sat at home watching the x-factor on tv just after Matty got released. I couldn’t tell yet if Matty approved of Wesley. My whole being ached for his approval but I knew that Matty loved keeping me happy.

The next morning I woke up in Matty’s bed with little recollection of actually getting in it. Matty’s movement next to me startled me as I tried to recall what happened.

As if I had spoken out loud, Matty rolled over and looked at me.

“You fell asleep on the sofa after your phone call to Wes. He laughed at your breathing down the phone. I hung up and Dad helped carry you in here.” He explained plainly. Matty knew I always get irritated when he knew what I was thinking. It was unnerving.

Nevertheless, I was looking forward to taking Matty to rehab tomorrow. Finally he was being admitted and they were going to help him walk properly again. While we were in the hospital, he began to regain more feeling and could move them slightly but he still needed work. It was a massive relief.

A movement by the door broke us from our glaring competition. Dad looked at us as though we were mad and leant on the door frame.

“No leaving the house today. I’m going out and coming back early tomorrow morning. We leave first thing.” He stated sternly. My father always had a way of being intense. No matter how tiny the thing might have been, he could make it scary. He could talk about cotton candy and rainbows and it could still sound like he was threatening your family. It could be a gift and a curse. “Katy is still here looking out for you.”

“OK dad.” Matty and I mumbled in sync. Both of us burst into laughter. Dad let out an exasperated sigh and went to walk away.

“I will never attempt to understand you two.”

Dad left me and Katy to look after Matty the whole day. We watched movies and talked about everything. I must have cried at least four times. That was more than I had cried in the whole year since I met Wesley and Matty came home. I was turning soft and it felt ok to me.

Wesley. Oh shit.

“MATTY!” I yelled loudly. Matty opened his eyes from snoozing on the sofa and looked at me.

“WHAT?”

“I PROMISED WES I’D SEE HIM FOR HIS BIRTHDAY TONIGHT!” I almost screamed. Wesley would be so upset if I didn’t turn up. Well I hope. Lately the two of us were becoming closer and closer and I was totally ok with it. I don’t know if he could tell how I felt about him but I sure as hell knew I wasn’t about to let him go.

“I’ll cover for you if dad asks. No go and get ready.” Matty instructed and pushed me off the sofa. I fell in a heap on the floor at which Matty sniggered. My eyes shot a glare at him before I got up and headed to my room.

Since dad had turned up the day with Wes, he’d invited me around a few times.  He even let Matty and I choose our own rooms. I picked mine because Matty wasn’t home yet but I moved some of his things in. Mom still had no idea that I was back in contact with dad. She didn’t even know her own son was back from war. She didn’t even know he nearly died. We didn’t even know where she was.

I tip-toed past dad and Katy’d bedroom door quietly. Once safely past, I ran into my room and rummaged through my things. Nothing seemed nice enough for tonight.

A loud, fake cough pulled me from my panic. I looked up and saw Katy with a smug look on her face.

“And where exactly do you think you’re going?” She asked rhetorically.