Fragility

The next day you spend pondering about your concept for tomorrow. Being the last day, it has to oversee all the others. You're curious as to how this idea will unfold, because it might be the most intimate and fragile. You'll ask a lot of Cate, and you wonder if she'll be able to let her true emotions show. It's almost evening when you receive a call. Quickly swiping your phone from your desk, you don't bother to see who it is.

"Hello?" You say.

"Hi, Y/N." An easily recognisable voice.

"Hi Cate," You respond. "everything alright?"

"Perfect, listen," She begins. "I know tomorrow's scheduled at noon, but Andrew's working late and he won't be home until midnight, so I'll have to pick the kids up from school and make dinner. Is it alright if you come in the morning?"

You're about to agree, but then you remember the amount of work you had planned to do in the morning. "Cate, I can't."

"Oh..." You hear her disappointment through the line.

"What if..." You begin to think out loud. "What if I'll just be there at noon, and stay to make dinner, or pick up the kids, or both." You suggest.

The disappointment you heard through the phone moments ago, is replaced by delight. "I thought you didn't cook."

"Picking up the kids it is then." You lightheartily respond.

A short silence follows you can only imagine caused by the deliberation of Cate. "If you really don't mind." She carefully says.

"Suggested it myself, didn't I?" You say, followed by her laughter on the other end. "Besides, I'll give me time to get some of your secrets out of them myself." You joke.

"Oh I see." She says chuckling, and you can picture her smirking face before you.

"So, I'll be glad to help a hand." You sincerely tell her.

"That's settled then." You hear her say. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow." You say with a smile plastered on your face, ending the call.
__________

The next morning you set out to do what you intended, work. Slowly but surely you tick of all the boxes on your to do list. Sorting out pictures, editing different shots, mailing to clients. The swiftness of the morning makes for an accomplished feeling. After having had some lunch, you make your way over to Cate. The twists and turns of the road have come to be familiar over these last few weeks, and before your know it, you've arrived. Your buzzing phone indicates a text message.

Noah: Good luck on your last day! Should I warn Cate for any moves you might make on her?

A cunning chuckle echos through the car, knowing your best friend won't shut up about this, like ever.

You: Haha, very funny... I'm going in now, so I'll see you later.

Noah: What?! Inside her? That must be a new record, even for you.

Putting your phone away, you decide to ignore his pretentious behaviour. You make your way over to the house and ring the bell. Whilst greeting Cate, you notice she has done exactly what you've said: she wears her casual clothes and her radiant face doesn't have a hint of makeup.

"Is this what you had in mind." She says, pointing up and down her body and face.

You smile at her question. "Indeed."

She leads you through the kitchen and makes a pot of tea, which you both enjoyingly sip under some light conversation. "The kids don't know that you'll pick them up." Cate begins. "So you might have to honk once or twice to get their attention."