07 : Lycans

"Have you read enough?" Ares focused his eyes on her. She was sitting on the floor, leaning her back on a bookshelf while she read a large book related to the world's history.

"Listen. Vampires don't rely mainly on their physical strength but more on their telepathic skills."

Staring at her serious expression, Ares reached out his hand and gently brushed the strands of hair away from her face. She paused from reading and shifted her eyes towards him. Even he was surprised by his actions.

"Y-Your hair. They're distracting." He stuttered. It wasn't a lie. It was nothing but the truth. He acted as if he was trying to read the book.

"Oh, alright. Sorry." She tucked the strands of her hair behind her ears and continued reading. Ares almost slapped his face.

He couldn't stop himself from staring at her. The way she focuses her eyes on the book and how immersed she was distracting. He wondered when will she ever look at him like that.

Wait, no.

What was he thinking?

He is the sole heir of his kingdom. He shouldn't be like this. Countless women were desperate to have him! They were even ready to kill for his attention.

Then without a warning, this mere human came into his life.

Does he even have to be concerned about her liking him? If he wants her, he could have her! It's just a pity that he doesn't interest himself in other species but his own.

That is why he would never ask her to be his Queen... He knew she wouldn't want that either anyway.

He was afraid that the day will come, where she would eventually leave him and no one could ever replace his longing for her.

Besides, he was fated to become the next king of the vampires. His people will soon rely on him. The future of his kingdom would be on his hands and such delusions like falling in love were out of his virtue.

He should not step further. He should let her be. He must push her away. That way, the fall would not be that painful.

But not until she's here by his side.

He wanted to treasure their moments together for a little while longer, but he would make sure to set up a boundary and not step on the line.

"The werewolves have stronger physical power than vampires, although both species have their unique abilities. They would be only distinguished whenever they use it." She read before looking at him curiously. "Do werewolves transform into wolf form?"

"They don't," answered Ares.

"Then, why do you call them werewolves?"

"You're the one who calls them that. They are lycans, not werewolves."

"Yes. Lycans are werewolves," Selene said, unblinking.

"They could only control wolves, not transform into them." He explained clearly.

"So, you don't turn into a bat?"

"Where the hell did you get that idea?" His eyebrow raised in confusion.

"It's... what I know." She reluctantly replied.

"That's not true. Just as how the lycans control wolves, we can manipulate bats as well. But not turn into one."

"Why?"

"What do you mean why? It's just like that. If you want to see something transform into something else, look for a Morphis."