Part-16

Everyone seemed busy in the potto bastra ritual, which was being conducted with the groom. Taking this as a chance to meet Bela, Anirudh went inside the house sneakingly. He did so because he had been waiting for a lot of time and now he was losing his patience. He hadn't seen Bela for hours and he was getting restless. He just wanted to make sure that she was fine and therefore secretly entered the house. But to his bewilderment, he found nobody inside. He checked every nook and corner of the house but couldn't spot a single soul there. He felt perplexed. Where was Bela? She had told him that she was going to meet Bondita but then where did she go? And where the heck was the bride? Both of them were missing and no-one ever knew! Did Bondita take her somewhere? Was she behind all these? Such thoughts were circulating in his mind. But he kept his thoughts aside and decided to look for them outside. He left the wedding venue and began his search for Bela. Just as he was about to start his motor-car, he saw a figure appearing in the dark. He stopped his movements for a while and waited for it to approach nearer. But what he saw after that made him shocked. A girl in a red saari along with a child in her arms was running on the streets, as if escaping from someone. Anirudh immediately recognized her, she was none other than Bondita and the child whom she carried in her arms was his Bela. But from whom were they running? He got down instantly and ran towards her.

"Tum yahan kya kar rhi ho? Aur..." He stopped abruptly as he saw Bela in an unconscious state. He quickly took her in his arms and kneeled down on the road. He started calling her name and patting her cheeks. Tears were continuously rolling down from his eyes on seeing her in such state.

"Kya...kya hua hai ise? Aur tum ise aisi halat mein kahan se la rhi ho?" Anirudh screamed at Bondita.

"Main...main...wo..." Bondita couldn't speak properly as she was panting heavily.

"Batao! Kya kiya tumne meri Bela ke saath?" He yelled.

"Aap galat samjh rhe hain..." She said catching her breath but was cut off by him in between.

"Main galat samajh raha hoon, aur jo tumne iss choti bachchi ke saath kiya hai kya wo galat nhi hai?" He vented out all his frustration on her. Hearing the commotion going on around her, Bela started gaining her consciousness and blinked her eyes.

Bondita felt it was useless to try to explain him anything right now, as he was not at all ready to hear her. She, without uttering a word, kept Raghuvansh's letter in Bela's pocket, thinking it would clear his misunderstanding and quickly ran inside the venue.

"Kahan jaa rahi ho? Tum batati kyun nhi, kya kiya..." He stopped when he heard Bela's faint voice calling him.

"Be...Bela utho, dekho main aagya, tumhe kuch nhi hoga." He said cupping her face.

"Bhai...bhaiya main thik hoon." She replied softly.

"Kya hua tha Bela? Tum iss halat mein kaise aayi?" He asked as she sat leaning against him.

"Paani." She muttered.

"Ruko ek min." He said and ran towards the car leaving her there itself. He returned after a minute with a water bottle in his hand and made her drink the water.

"Abb kaisa lag raha hai?" He asked.

"Abb thik hai." She replied with a faint smile.

"Par Bela, tum iss halat mein kaise aayi?" Enquired Anirudh.

"Pata nhi bhaiya, main toh boudi se milne jaa rhi thi par phir kisine kaha ki boudi bahar hain, main ye mankar bahar aagyi lekin phir kisine mere nak pe kuch rakh diya aur phir...mko yaad nhi." She pursed her lips.

Anirudh began musing. What might have happened? And why was Bondita with her? Just then he recalled Bondita keeping something in Bela's pocket. He found the letter and read it.