Part-9

"The court may start its proceedings." The judge announced.

"Your honour, before proceeding further, I would like to borrow some time to say few words on polygamy." Bondita asked for his permission.

"Barrister Das, this is not some storytelling sort of place, if you've forgotten let me remind you once again, this is a court." Anirudh interrupted.

"This isn't some kind of story which I'm going to tell, it is related to the case and that's why I have asked for the permission Barrister Roy Choudhary, hope you've got it, now please let me complete." Bondita paid no heed to his words.

"Your honour, I assure you that I won't waste the court's valuable time, it's important for the case and that's why I'm saying this." She requested again.

"You may."

"Your honour, Barrister Das is just trying to delay the court's verdict and that's why she is..." He was interrupted by the judge.

"Find your silence Barrister Roy Choudhary, it's my decision and you cannot deny it, can you?" The judge hushed him.

He gritted his teeth and took his seat.

"Barrister Das I have granted you this permission but you've to make sure that you don't waste the court's valuable time and say only what is required for the case." The judge put forth his condition.

"I assure you Your honour." She said and started.

"Polygamy is quite common in our country, it is practiced by most of the people, especially men. If, for some reasons they aren't happy with their first wife, or let me say it more precisely, if the wife has any kind of shortcomings, she is replaced. Her husband brings home another girl and names her as his second wife. She faces humiliation from the society, even her family doesn't spare her in this situation. She is considered as a 'used object', which has been thrown out after a new one was bought. She even starts believing that she must have been at fault for her husband's second marriage. Her life becomes no less than a hell. And not only she, even the so called 'second wife' has to suffer the humiliations of the society. She's always considered as a second option, brought in by the husband for his or his family's needs. She is named as a replacement forever. Whereas the man, who is the root cause of the sufferings of both the women, never really gives a damn about it! Our society never questions him for his deeds, he roams freely even after committing heinous crimes! If our society cannot expect a woman to have more then one husband than how can it allow a men to remarry as many times as he wants? Polygamy is a curse to the women in our country, and it must be abolished!" Bondita spoke her heart out.

Anirudh stood up and started clapping his hands. His claps drew everyone's attention towards him.

"Great speech Barrister Das!" He exclaimed and ceased his claps.

"But does it prove anything?" He asked narrowing his eyes. "Everyone knows about women's sufferings but the court needs evidences! Your mere speech won't prove anything and don't you dare to use any women card here." He said the last sentence while moving his index finger from side to side.

Bondita didn't reply anything to him.

"Barrister Das, you've been warned already not to squander the court's time. Barrister Roy Choudhary is right, the court needs evidences!" The judge scolded her.

Anirudh smirked, knowing that she doesn't have anything to present in the court.

"Your honour, I apologize if I've wasted anybody's valuable time but this was important for my case. Anyways, the court needs evidences and I shall present them to it definitely." She said confidently.