Part-27

Anirudh tossed and turned on the couch, as the music coming from outside was disrupting his peaceful sleep. After a lot of turns, lossing his patience, he sat up straight. Squinting his eyes, he sat there for quite some time, half asleep. He felt his head getting heavier and it began to waver to and fro. He finally placed it on the arm rest and closed his eyes. But to his great misfortune, the music became even louder and finally succeeded in breaking his sleep.

"Ye ho kya rha hai subah-subah!" he murmured to himself in irritation, while running a hand through his slightly scruffy hair. He opened the door of his study and the sound, which was obscure till now, began to sound clearer. He recognized the song instantly, it was a hymn but he was still unaware of the person singing it. The voice was pleasant, he admitted but it did disturb his sleep and that was the reason for his irritation. Rubbing his eyes and yawning at the same time, he went out in search of the source of the music. His steps ceased at the entrance of the mandir and he took an about turn, not wanting to even have a slightest glimpse of the graven image of the one, who had snatched away his everything. But before he could move away, a call from behind stopped him.

"Bhagwan ke ghar ke chowkhat se yoon hi laut jayenge? Aashirvaad tak nhi lenga unka?" Bondita said, coming out of the mandir with the aarti's thaal in her hand and a subtle smile on her face.

Anirudh turned and looked at her, his countenance still being unruffled.

"Anirudh Roy Choudhary ke abhi itne bure din bhi nhi aaye hain ki kisi patthar ke aage usey apna sar jhukana pade." he said smiling in the most sardonic way possible.

His words did agitate Bondita but maintaining her composure, she responded with a smile, "Mann mein agar aashtha aur prem ke bhav ho toh patthar bhi bhagwan ban jaata hai, lekin agar mann se saare bhav hi mit jaye toh insaan ko bhi patthar bante der nhi lagti."

Her last words were intended for Anirudh, which he certainly understood. He even opened his mouth to retort but was stopped by Trilochan's voice, which came from the stairs.

"Anirudh beta tu aagya!" he exclaimed and approached them with an enthusiastic smile plastered on his face. Seeing him, Bondita immediately offered him the aarti and then she bent down and took his blessings, which he readily gave her.

"Shubho Jonomdin Kaka Sasur ji." she wished him with her ever beaming smile. And this was when Anirudh realized that today it was the birthday of the twin brothers, Trilochan & Binoy.

"Dhonnobaad bahu." he replied back smiling. "Bihari ne bataya tha hume ki tu kal raat ko hi pohonch gya tha ghar." he turned to Anirudh.

"Janamdin ki badhayi ho Kaka." he said and immediately touched his feet. Trilochan made him stand and engulfed him in a hug. "Dhanyavaad beta." they parted, when Bela's squeal interrupted them.

"Bhaiya!" she sprinted and pounced on Anirudh, who then lifted her in his arms. "Aap aagye?"

"Nhi, abhi bhi Calcutta mein hi hoon." he teased and earned a pinch on his arms. She hugged him and they remained like that for the following few minutes, making up for the days they had missed each other.

"Arey usey snaan toh kar lene do beta." Trilochan said chuckling.

Just then, Binoy, along with Somnath came down discussing something with him. Hearing his voice, Bela instantly parted from Anirudh and removing his grip on her, dismounted from his arms and went running towards Binoy, leaving Anirudh in bafflement.

"Bela kahan jaa rhi ho? Idhar aao!" Anirudh called her as he saw her approaching Binoy, which he thought, might enrage him and he would end up venting out his anger on her. So to avoid any kind of fuss, he tried to stop her but ignoring all his calls, Bela went and stood in front of Binoy and raised her arms, gesturing him to lift her up in his arms. Anirudh placed his hand onto his forehead and averted his gaze from them, thinking there would be a scene created any time. But to his astonishment, nothing of that sort actually happened. He looked at them again and the sight he saw, left him in a state of confusion, as well as shock. Bela was laughing and clapping in Binoy's arms, while he was busy adoring her antics. His eyes then roamed across the hall, trying to figure out the expressions of everyone. He saw his Kaka smiling broadly and mumbling something incomprehensible and then glancing at the idol inside the mandir. He noticed Somnath, who was standing beside Binoy and was teasing Bela, while she was making faces at him. Whilst everyone was busy in their own business, there was Bondita observing all of them with a smile. Everything which was happening today, was totally a contrast to the happenings of the day, on which he had left for Calcutta. It had just been 2 weeks to that incident and just look at them now! They were pretending as if nothing happened! Why and How? And what brought this sudden, unforeseen change in his family? And like these, Anirudh felt endless numbers of questions circulating in his mind. But the most important and confusing one was, how should he feel about this? Should he be happy that Binoy had finally changed for the good or should he doubt his change? Admist the chaos in his mind, he felt a hand on his shoulder.