Part-33

There you go! Your chapter! Well, I know it's been ages but still...

The sun was back to its habitual position and the day, as expected, turned out to be a bright and cheerful one. The air today, was pervaded with a sent of colours with it, as people threw colours at each other, as a way of expressing their joy. Enthusiasm and zest were filled in the air. And why wouldn't it be, the occasion was special; it was the day of love and unity, it was Holi! The day, believed to unite people together. The celebrations were in full swing. People, setting aside there age and religion, were playing with the beautiful colours by throwing them at each other. Sounds of dhols were echoing in the surroundings. Having offered the prayer already, people were all set to bathe each other in the jazzy powders, leaving no space for gloominess to prevail. Nonetheless, there was still someone who was not at all interested in this business. As usual, Anirudh Roy Choudhary had kept himself away from all the mayhem, his family was about to create today. Notwithstanding his endless refusals, his Kaka had planned a huge celebration on the said festivity, this year. It wasn't even that, he had no pleasant memories about this day. No. He definitely had. But it was just that, the person with whom he had made those memories earlier, wasn't present to make more of them with him, now. And he was definitely missing that one person, his Aradhya. A loud sigh left his mouth, as he teared his eyes away from the plate of colours kept on his table and lifted them up, to take a look at the view outside. The backyard of the Roy Choudhary Haveli, was chosen for the frolics this time. The yard looked resplendent in white curtains, accompanied by yellow ones. Freshly plucked flowers graced the decorative vases and a tall, pompous fountain, set up in the middle, simply added up to the pomp. Colour powders were neatly arranged on tables, in almost every corner, to emphasize their importance on this day. Sweets, popular during this festival, had their separate corners. Even the special thandayi, could be seen getting prepared under the gaze of Bihari. Trilochan and Binoy had left no stone unturned, to make the occasion special. From a common villager, to the most influential people of Tulsipur, everybody was heartily welcomed in the celebration. The guests had already started to show up and playing with colours, had begun already. Anirudh heaved a sigh and closed his eyes. Her memories did hurt, but they also made him feel her presence.

Flashback :

Anirudh was ambling through the corridor, when he suddenly felt a spying gaze on himself. Without turning back, he pretended not to notice it and carried on his walk upstairs. As he walked, he heard anklets jingling and as soon as he stopped, the sounds of them, also ceased. Just as he reached the head of the stairs, smirking to himself, with an abrupt movement, he held her wrist and rammed her to the nearest pillar.

"Kya karne jaa rhi thi?" he asked, an impish smile curling on his lips.

She wriggled her wrists which he had pressed to the pillar and frowned at him.

"Aaj holi hai!", she exclaimed.

"Toh?" he lifted his shoulder casually.

With a look of incredulity, she stated again, "Shaadi ke baad ye humari pehli holi hai!"

"Toh?"

"Toh aap itne safed hokar kyun ghum rhe hain? Holi nhi khelni aapko?"

"Khelni hai, par sirf ek insaan ke saath." he replied with a glint mischief in his eyes. "Par tumne bhi toh rang nhi lagwaya?"

"Kyunki mujhe bhi sirf ek hi insaan ke saath holi khelni hai." she answered shyly.

He left her wrists and she opened her fists, which had a fistful of red powder in it. He took some from it and gently applied it on her right cheek and then, on the left one. He leaned forward to reach her ears and whispered softly,