Part-29

Her eyes glinted with excitement upon catching the sight of the ongoing fair and she quickly turned to her Boudi. "Boudi, chaliye na aaj bhi hum mele mein ghumne chalenge! Bohot maza aayega! Buddhiya ke baal (candyfloss) khane hain mujhe!" Bela requested Bondita, as they were returning from her school in the car.

"Nhi Bela. Hum nhi jayenge." replied Bondita and all the excitement drained down from her face.

"Par kyun?" asked she, using her bramhastra, showing those two innocent eyes.

At this, Bondita shifted her gaze to the window instantly, knowing that she won't be able to say no to them.

"Nhi matlab nhi. Aaj phirse daant khani hai kya apne bhaiya se?"

"Aap badal gyi ho! Aap meri pehle wali Boudi nhi ho! Meri Boudi toh meri har baat maanti thi, par aap toh meri sunti hi nhi ho!" she now started emotionally blackmailing her. Though Bondita was getting affected by her words, she made herself look unruffled. But Bela didn't retreat. She kept on pleading and blackmailing her at the same time. But on getting absolutely no response back from her side, eventually, she accepted her defeat and hunching her back, folded her arms and puffed up her cheeks. Bondita still paid no heed to her, as she was engrossed in thinking about something else, something important. About a way to distance herself from the family.

"Chalak Kaka gadi rokiye!" Bela screamed suddenly and hearing her, without thinking twice, the driver immediately stopped the car.

"Kya hua?" asked Bondita.

"Mujhe wo kulfi khaani hai. Mele mein toh aap nhi le jaoge toh kulfi hi khila do!" she replied with a sullen face.

Bondita smiled and pulled her puffed cheeks.

"Theek hai." replying her, she addressed the driver, "Dada aap dhyaan rakhiyega iska. Main kulfi lekar abhi aayi."

"Ji Malkin."

Bondita got out of the car and went to buy the kulfi.

"Ye lijiye Dada aapke paise." handing over the money to the kulfi seller, she took two kulfis from him in return and went smiling towards the car.

"Ye lo baba tumhari k...Bela?" her brows creased deeply and she checked both the front and back seats of the car. But Bela was nowhere present inside.

"Dada Bela kahan gyi?" she asked the driver, who was busy humming a song to himself.

"Kya? Arey Bela malkin toh peeche..." he stopped on finding the seat empty. "Malkin, abhi toh wo yhi thi! Pata nhi achanak kahan..."

"Main mele mein jaa rhi hoon Boudi!" they heard a call from Bela. Bondita looked in the direction and found her standing at a distance and waving her hand at her. "Aap bhi aajana!" she shouted again and ran from where she stood, towards the fair.

"Bela!" Bondita screamed, "Ruko!" not wasting even a single moment further, Bondita threw the kulfis on the ground and went running after her in the narrow, winding roads of Tulsipur, calling her name on end. But Bela wasn't in a mood to stop at all, she crossed the road and receded into a diverging lane, which took her into the fair. Bondita somehow managed to discern her entering the fair and following her, she too arrived there. But upon entering, she was greeted by a heavy, rumbling throng, which made it even more difficult for her to spot Bela. She ran her eyes everywhere, trying to get even a small glimpse of her among the mass of men, women and children but to no avail. She was nowhere to be seen and this made a sudden fear to creep into her heart. Keeping her apprehensions aside, she elbowed her way through the congested crowd. In the hustle-bustle, she lost her balance and landed to the ground with a thud, causing an injury on her elbow. But ignoring it, she immediately stood up, wiped off her hands and with much difficulty, made her way towards a stall.