What We Can Be

Bees POV

I stare out at the miles and miles of land in front of us. My eyes lingering on land that had once homed Dream and I. Our houses used to be connected by a small tunnel, making it more convenient to see each other. The houses had been beautiful, dark oak, spruce and stone bricks. The houses had simple, yet perfect designs. Nick and George lived near us at the time. Back when life was easy. Now the land where those houses once stood was covered in debris. The houses had gone up in flames the night I had declared by loyalty to Lmanburg back in the Original War. Dream himself, with the help of Sapnap, lit the matches that night. It was the Dream Teams way of informing me the family had split and I was no longer part of it.

"I was your family once too." That's what Dream has whispered. The exact words Fundy had said that one day that felt so long ago. Maybe I was the liar. One of the most important things to me is my family, and I've always said I would never abandon my family. And yet, I did it two different times. Once with Dream, Sapnap, and George, the other with Fundy. Maybe I'm the traitor Dream speaks of. No. I couldn't be. Maybe it's Techno, he would be the most obvious traitor. Wilbur would never. Or would he? Tommy wouldn't, I would trust Tommy with my life, but a few months ago I would have with Wilbur too, but-

"Are you good?" Tommy asks, shaking me from my thoughts.

"I'm fine," I lie.

My eyes never once leave the land where my old home used to sit.

"I miss it."

"I miss it too." Tommy breathes next to me, I don't need to look at him to know he and I are talking about two different things. Dreaming of two different places.

Grinding, that's what I did the next few days to keep my mind from wandering. I worked hours on end to get good armor and tools, enchanting them to what I felt was good enough. Dream, Fundy, Techno and Wilbur, were all getting on my nerves. All for different reasons I could not control.

The news of there being a traitor spread like wildfire through Pogtopia. Almost everyone had their suspicions. Part of me worried it was myself, Dream knows me better than anyone else, does he know I'll leave Lmanburg and betray them? No, he couldn't possibly predict that, much less know. I've fought so hard for this country, for my family, why would I just give it up. I'm not the traitor. I know I'm not. But who?

My bets on Techno. But at the moment he's a valuable person to have on our side. He's the best fighter around. Maybe Dreams lying and there isn't a traitor at all. But something deep inside knew that was too good to be true.

"Join us." Dream hums, holding out his hand. "Fight with me."

I bite my lip and look up at him. His presence was warm and welcoming, reminding me of an old Dream. Of Clay.

"But what about Lmanburg? What about Wilbur, Tommy, Tubbo and everyone else?" I ask shyly.

"They'll be okay. I promise."

I stared up into Dreams mask, hoping that he was right, and that the good person I once knew was still in there. I place my hand on his slowly. Trusting him with not only my life, but Lmanburg and all its people. His fingers lace into mine, his grip holding tight, sealing my choice. He pulls me close to him. With his other hand he slowly pulls off his mask. Blood red eyes replace his old emerald green ones, blood splattered on his face. Fear spreads through my body like fire as I realize my mistake. I go to scream but his hand covers my mouth. I turn behind me to look back at L'manburg. But it's gone. A giant crater, and bodies litter the ground in its place. I recognise the bloodied figures of Wilbur, Tommy, Tubbo, on the ground. Crimson liquid, matching the color on Dreams face filling bottom of the crater slowly. A tear slips down my cheek as I'm pulled away from the scene.