• 43 • Rising Heat

As soon as the Todoroki left the festival, they got home livelier than ever. Having a feast of takeouts as a celebration, they were happy to have this than nothing. Enji was undoubtedly proud and wished for her to have a win streak in the upcoming Festivals too. Then in the middle of dinner, Homusubi receives a call from her special teacher, so she picked it up outside their house.

"OH! Sensei did you see me win the--"

"Homusubi..." He breathed heavily through the phone. As if he was running from something.

Her heart dropped along with her smile, "S-Sensei. What's happening?"

On the other side, blood dripped down his face as he was in a hospital, being rushed to the emergency room.

"Sir I advice you not to talk--"

"Shut up. This is my student I'm talking to," He coughed out a little bit of blood.

"Sensei! What happened to you?!"

"Listen. I don't know what in the world did you get yourself into. But there were some guys that invited themselves in the farmhouse, asking for your location... Of course, I didn't give it to them but it backfired to me." He chuckled humorlessly. A deadly yet faint memory of that one guy who smiled with eyes wide, like he had lost his mind.

 A deadly yet faint memory of that one guy who smiled with eyes wide, like he had lost his mind

Homusubi eyes widen in shock and anger. Knowing exactly who he is talking about. She couldn't believe it, they were hurting the people around her just to hunt her down. Her hands turned into fists as her eyes shimmered in tears before running out of their residence, "I'm coming to the hospital right now!"

"Don't. Stay where you are. It's too dangerous."

"EVERYONE TOLD ME THE SAME THING AND I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE THAT THAT DOESN'T STOP THOSE BASTARDS FROM HURTING MY LOVED ONES!" She yelled at the top of her lungs.

"Heh... I was guessing... you'd say that.' He was starting to lose his consciousness, "You're really... stubborn... you know...?"

"Stay alive, alright. Just stay alive!!!" She hurried to get in a taxi outside their gates. Enji saw this from the windows with wide eyes and immediately makes his move to follow her.

"I-I'm fine..." He chuckled humorlessly, "Really..." 'Although a hole to my side does hurt a little.' "... The guy I fought with uses a spear. I gave him a wound on his eye... he's still somewhere out there. Be careful..."

"Sensei--"

"I... I feel tired..."

"No!--"

"I'm just going to sleep... I'm not gonna die."

He glanced down at his hand on top of his stomach covered in blood, nurses were preparing to conduct a surgery immediately and the doctor requested for him to end the call.