• 31 • Promises

• • •

• • •

When Homusubi gets back home, it was differently sorrowful. The bright aura she once had disappears. Her father who knew why noticed it, yet her siblings who didn't know why noticed it too. Walking out of the car, she closed the door behind her and she heaves a sigh.

Her once Bambi eyes became dead, 'It's pretty hard to convince people that I'm okay.'

Enji's keys jingled as he locked his car, the gates automatically closed as they made their way up the flight of stairs to their front double doors. He noticed the gloomy atmosphere around her. It's only been about 2 weeks since the incident happened. And her lovely daughter grew quieter every day that passes, rarely ever speaking when she needs to.

But fear not, because even this old man got an amazing idea for this special day.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY NEE-SAAAN!!!"

She snapped her head up with wide eyes when the door bursts open. Countless confetti's blew out as her little siblings jumped to give her a surprise hug. It was clear that they had just come home a bit earlier before her since they were still in their school uniform. Her heart skipped a beat when she saw her grandparents inside, but those were the grandparents on her mothers' side.

She never got the chance to meet her grandparents on Enji's side, due to circumstances. They never were present on her birthday even for once. Now, despite her mother not being present at her 10th birthday celebration, it was fine for her. She was still happy, smiling so genuinely for the first time in what felt like years to the family.

"So let's start by saying our personal messages for Homusubi?" Touya asked after they had their dinner, prepared by her grandparents because you know who couldn't do it.

The birthday girl raised her eyebrows as she sets down her cup of milk, "Ohoho?"

"Oh! Me! Me! Natsuo wants to go first!" The little boy threw his hand in the air eagerly and everyone agrees to his request. "Okie..." He stands up in his seat, Enji who sat beside him made sure he won't fall.

"Homusubi-nee-san." He said in a monotonous tone, it was obvious that he had memorized this with effort. It was just the start and everyone already had smiles on their faces, "Thank you for being here... And. Uh... Happy birthday! I love you ten million times! Plus one more time." He makes his way down and ran up to her to kiss her on the cheek.

Everyone was in awe and their father chuckled in entertainment.

Homusubi wore a heartfelt expression as she couldn't stop grinning.

"I'll go." Fuyumi volunteered as she just sat on her seat, glancing up at her sister who sat across the table, "Nee-san. I've never seen you fail as the eldest sister. I hope that it will continue until we grow old and wrinkly." She snickered as everyone giggled and cackled at her silliness. Enji clapped for her, feeling prouder and prouder of all of his children as this goes on.