thirty four

december 22, 2021

paige

"Well hello stranger."

I look up from my crouched position over my laptop on the floor in Maya and I's studio. I had been here for about an hour finishing up one of Harry's christmas gifts, when I heard the familiar tone of Maya's voice and saw her standing in the doorway.

A smile cracks on my lips at the sight of one of my best friends. Between all the chaos and preparing for the tour I haven't seen her in awhile. I stand up and walk over to her, engulfing her in a hug.

"Hi," I say.

We pull away from our reunion embrace and walk over to sit on the sofa.

"What are you doing here?"

"Well," Maya starts, "I have an art project due before the start of break that I need to finish up so I thought I would come up here and put the finishing touches on it. What about you?"

I let out a sigh.

"Well, Harry and I are leaving tonight to spend Christmas with his family in England and I was finishing up one of his Christmas gifts."

"Yeah tell me about that whole thing. How's the relationship? What's going on with the tour?"

I smile and look down at my fingers.

"It's good. It's all really good," I say, smiling.

Maya nudges my knee which had been curled under my body.

"You look happy, miss thing," she says smiling.

"Yeah. I am. Everything is just going really well. We finished everything we needed to get done for the tour about two days ago which was such a relief. We got all the tracks recorded and all the tiny details figured out so all that's left is for me to finish packing. We go straight from England to Italy and start tour and I won't be back till about March, so I have to basically pack up all my stuff for the next three months."

"Wow. That's a lot. How's life with Harry?"

"It's good. He's been great about everything. Like truly incredible. He's helped me figure everything out with tour and I've never felt so comfortable with someone before. I don't know I was a little nervous because you know, he's him, but we just get on really well. I don't know. I'm just happy and everything is going so well. We have been lucky and so far hadn't had anything in press or spottings, so that's been good."

"Have you guys thought about going public once tour starts? I mean you guys obviously have a connection. It's obvious to anyone who stands in the same room as you. People are going to start to notice and say things"

"Yeah," I say ruffling my fingers through my hands. "I mean I've thought about what will happen a bit. I mean you and I both know how people get when he's with a girl but I think we will just see what happens. We are both private with personal stuff so I think we both just want to keep everything quiet and enjoy the privacy we have now for as long as we can," I say.

"Well I wish you both luck but I think you guys will be fine. You guys just work. You're his lobster," Maya says with a grin.

I burst out laughing at the corny Friends reference.

"What? It's true," she says with a giggle.

"Oh god," I say. "Oh well enough about me. How are you and Anna?"

Now it's Maya's turn to blush and look down to her lap.

"Good," she tells her fingers. "Actually. Really really good."