thirty two

november 25, 2021

paige

"Harry. No. No way," I say, standing up and pacing in front of him.

"What do you mean? You can do it. I want you to do it. It would be a great way to kick start your career and you would get to travel and perform."

"Harry this is insane. I can't open for you. That's crazy."

"Why not," he says, standing from his spot, wiping away any few tears that had fallen from his eyes before standing in front of me.

"Well for starters I'm still in school."

"Schools give you credit for professional work in your major. I'm sure they would understand and still give you credits."

"I have no idea what I would sing and I don't have anyone to play with me."

"You could do covers and I know you write. I'm sure your songs are amazing and we could work together to get them perfected and possibly one day work towards an album," he says, excitement growing in his eyes. "I also have a band that I'm sure has connections to other musicians and you also go to school for music. I'm sure you have friends who would love to perform with you. Worst case, I know my band won't mind joining you."

"I have never performed in anything bigger than a coffee shop. I don't know the first thing about doing a world tour. Let alone a world tour with one of the biggest names in music," I say, running my fingers through my hair and pacing back and forth.

"Lies. You did a show with me and it went wonderfully. I would help you prep and get ready. We still have over a month before tour starts back up again. Hey," he says, stopping in front of my pacing steps and taking my hands in his. "Look at me," he says.

I lift my chin to meet my nervous and overwhelmed gaze with his excited one.

"Paige. You don't have to if you don't want to, but I would love nothing more than for you to come with me on tour and sing. You have talent. Real talent and I would love nothing more than to show that to the world. I know you want this for a career and this would be an amazing way to start that. I know Jeff would be thrilled and so would the band because they all love you. I'm sure Alessia would love nothing more than to design a wardrobe for you on tour. And the selfish part of me wants you to say yes because that means I would get to travel with my favorite person and show her the world because that's the closest I'll get to giving it to you."

I look up at him with his hand placed on my cheek, a smile on his pink lips.

I wanted to do this.

I did.

But it was all happening so fast. I wanted to go with him and travel. I wanted to perform. I felt alive, truly alive for the first time in my life when I sang with him and I wanted that again but this was insane. I mean, to drop everything in my life and leave. And also try and put together a band, record songs and make a setlist, and write.

"Harry, I want to but-"

"Then do it. Nothing should stop you from this. I will help you with everything. I promise."

Once again, he had stood in front of me and quelled every fear and answered every question.

"Harry, are you sure about this. This is a big deal and I don't want you to do this be-"

"Paige. I am 100% sure. Please. Open for me," he says, sincerity in his eyes.

I take a deep breath.