Chapter 28: Spirits

Finally, the figure looked recognisable, cloaked in what was once black dust. Voldemort took deep breaths, enjoying the release that the air gave him once more. With an astonished look permanently tattooed on his face, Wormtail approached his sovereign who simply chuckled under his breath. Bowing, Wormtail handed Voldemort his wand.

With this wand, Voldemort had great plans- diabolical plans. All that started with the snatching of Wormtail's arm, exposing his dark mark and imbuing it with dark magic so that the Dark Lord's mark could appear in the sky and summon VOldemort's loyal group of "death eaters". The appearance was no less astounding, the wizards flying in from the sky by the seemingly same magic as that that cloaked their Lord.

Looking around at them, Voldemort could not see the soldiers that had once unquestionably followed him but instead a parade of cowards in black cloaks who gave up searching to bring him back not 13 years ago. Punishing them mercilessly, he demanded they know what he thought. They begged for release, insisting upon weak excuses.

Wormtail intervened, trying to earn recognition for being the one who brought back the Dark Lord. Voldemort denied him this, pointing out that this action was brought about by fear- not the loyalty the lot of them had pledged at the very beginning. Despite this evaluation, the Dark Lord felt compensation was needed for the services Wormtail had indeed given him. So, he felt inclined to wave his wand and give Wormtail back his hand that he had sacrificed for the Dark Lord - or at least some version of this hand; a metal version. Filled with gratitude, Wormtail dropped to his knees in a kind of "praying position", repeating his thanks at least 50 odd times.

Voldemort turned to Josie who was still siphoning the large spell. He flicked his wand at her, throwing her back at a statue similar to the one Harry was against. It did the exact same thing, trapping her. The Dark Lord then walked over to Cedric. He kicked him lightly in the face. "LEAVE HIM ALONE!" Harry yelled from his trapped position.

"Oh Harry," Voldemort exclaimed, "I almost forgot you were here, standing on the bones of my father. I'd introduce you but word has it, you're almost as famous as me." The Dark Lord continued to talk, explaining how Lily's sacrifice for her only son provided Harry with the protection of love, meaning Voldemort could not touch the boy.

"However, things have changed," he said, "I Can Touch You Now!" he hissed, placing one finger upon Harry's scar, leaving him in boundless pain.

Incentivised by Harry's pain, Josie was desperate for a way out. After a few mere but long seconds, she realised that the trap holding her was only magic-bound. She put both her hands on the statue and began to siphon- this magic was not nearly as strong as the boundary spell. Everyone else was watching Voldemort and Harry; nobody would try to stop her.

Whilst Voldemort was challenging Harry to a duel and they were doing all kinds of taunting and magical fighting, Josie had been released. She ran over to Cedric and put one of his arms around her neck, carrying him behind a statue. She then grabbed the cup that was not far away and brought it to Cedric. Looking over at Harry, she had a choice to make: she could go safely home in that moment with Cedric but without Harry- the reason for Cedric's death or she could risk her life for the boy who caused Cedric's death and the three of them could go home.

Josie looked over to Harry, hoping that something could convince her to make the hero move. And then, spirits seemed to come out of the two enemies wands. "Cedric?" Josie whispered.

Cedric's spirit turned to her, "Help him, Jo. You have to make it back together. Oh and, take my body back, will you? To my father,"

"Already planning on it," Josie replied, a mixture of tears of joy and sadness trickling down her face. She was referring to taking his body back, not helping Harry but she did not define this difference, wanting Cedric to remember her as a better person for wherever he may go next.

After his spirit disappeared and Harry was still standing-off with Voldemort, Josie still had to make her choice. Now, with nobody there to watch her, she did what she thought was right. She placed her hand upon the cup.

And siphoned its power until it was useless. She directed the power at Cedric's lifeless body and it disappeared. Josie let herself have a small smile; she could get out. She turned to Harry before she could stop herself and ran over to him. The others never saw her coming because they simply weren't paying attention. By the time they realised, it was too late.

She put her hand on Harry's shoulder. He was also shocked- having barely thought of her since the duel started. But she could only see his astounded face for so long before he too disappeared like Cedric. 

_____________________________________

Dear reader,

Sorry for not posting, I had some technical difficulties. These previous parts (up till part 30) were prewritten a while ago so do excuse me if I need a little bit of time in between to write some more. Aside from that, I really hope you enjoyed the story. Thank you for reading!!

-Inflated Spoon-