Chapter 29 : Rival

CHAPTER 29 : RIVAL

>> LEN'S POV

Its been a long time, and I kinda wanted to see back in my past life, everything and everyone I met. I had the idea when I encountered the album from my childhood, was covered with dust and locked away in the deepest corner of my house, surprising that it was there the whole time. All those pictures were there, pictures of me, mother and father, but we weren't the only ones who were included, more what I expected were there, so I decided to look at it during my spare time, its Sunday after all.

" Hm.. flip, flip. " I said as I flipped through the pages while looking at some photographs of my classmates, " Hey, this seems familiar. " I stared at the last picture.

" Len? " Mother appeared, and she had a shock, " You found that? Good thing, I am going to put that somewhere else.. but I guess I'll let you have a look. " she smiled.

" Mother. " I said, and it got her attention, " Could you please rephrase what happened in this photo? " Yes, my mother clearly remembers everything during the past.

" Of course. " She smiled and sat down beside me just next to the bed, " I bet you remember who he is, right? " she pointed at the black-haired guy at the far left.

" Kirihito, Ore Kirihito. " Saying in a sullen tone, he was my rival, he always beat me in sports, and in grades, he was always steps ahead of me. But he was a friend.

" Don't do that face Len. " Mother sighed, " Oh! That reminds me! He's moving in here tomorrow! Wow! " She laughed and ran downstairs.

" He is.. is he.. " I smiled softly, but I felt that my jealousy comes back, oh well, I'm going to have trouble living with him for the next few days.

~FLASHBACK (Still Len's Pov)

" Len! " Kirihito shouted, holding a pair of rubber shoes, " Let's go jogging today! The breeze feels so nice! " he smiled.

" Kirihito.. " I murmured, and I was studying by that point, " Okay, but I'm afraid you'll beat me again.. won't you? " I said with a sad smile.

" Don't be a coward! " He said, that made me determined to do it with confidence, " I don't know about you but, wouldn't it be sad if you just stood there? "

" Uh.. " My eyes widened, he still had his shining aura around him, and he was always my inspiration, like an older brother.

" Come on! " He laughed and turned around to run, " Faster Len! Or else you'll lose like what you said! " and so I ran faster, yet I was only a few seconds behind him.

But, I felt happy.

~FLASHBACK END (Still Len's Pov)

When I went down, after all the reminiscing, mother was on the phone, and she looked devastated, she looked at me with sad eyes and tear up in one eye. She told me, that Kirihito was caught up in an accident, and he is at the hospital right now taking a rest, mother thought it would be a good idea to be there for him right now, since I was his friend of course, all his other friends were at his hometown, I'm the only one right how to do so, he's experiencing trouble. I have to be there..!!

" Huh...? Who is that— Len? " He said, he looked at me with the weak expression he rarely had, and he smiled weakly.

" I'm here Kirihito. " I said in a sad tone, and I sat beside him, " Why have you come here? You know that this place is urban, so you won't have much place to jog. "

" Hah, I don't give up that easily Len, you know that. " He continued, " I broke my left arm and right leg, so probably I really can't do anything much anymore. "

" You are so stupid, aren't you, Kirihito? " I said looking down, and it confused him, " Remember what you said? Never give up right? "

" I did.. didn't I.. the irony. " He laughed, and he looked out, the wind flowing in and we both felt it, the silence.

" Tomorrow, I'll prove to you I have excelled, let's jog (run) tomorrow. " I started, and he obviously was dis-approving about it.

" You have the advantage, I don't. " He said, " Only a wheelchair, and one arm is available. " he smiled sullenly.

" Hey, I'm at disadvantage too you know. " I continued, " I haven't jogged for a long time, mostly I'm either indoors or at class. Which is also indoors. "

" Fine. Tomorrow it is then. " He smiled with a little determination, and so, this is the fight between me and my old rival, after a long time.

The next day arrived, and at the exact time Kirihito and I have arrived also in the same place, he was at his wheelchair and he wore his head gear, mother was there to accompany us, so did Kirihito's mother, and so, we started. By the sound of go, we started moving, it was more like a race to both of us, not really much of the jogging part. We ran from my house to the shore, where we had our last "race" before too, there came a point I almost tripped, and Kirihito was still ahead of me, but this time, for sure.. I'll win! I'll prove myself once and for all!

" That was a good race Len. " Kirihito gave me a thumbs up, with his injured arm, and I did the same, " You really outdone yourself. "

" Same with you, you were as great as you did before. " I smiled, panting from the tiredness from the run, " But I did it. "

" I give you.. " he smiled, " .. the first person to beat me in a race after a very long time without cheating medal! Yay! " we both laughed.

" Congrats to both of you, but yeah, Kirihito will have to have a break from the sports. " His mother said with a sigh.

" Its okay Mama. " Kirihito started, " I'll focus more on my studies then! " he smiled, and his mother face palmed, what?

" Oh, Len, " my mother said, " Kirihito's having trouble with his grades, you have beaten him long ago then. " my mother smiled.

" W-W-Wha.. " Kirihito sweat dropped. " Len.. is that true? You have such good grades? " he said stuttering.

" Well, yes. " I smirked at him, " In fact, I'm in Class A of Rikonawa High. " He gulped, " Then I have recieved the medal a long time ago then! "

" This is not fair! " He pouted, " The tables have turned on me, I guess. Better then be better than you, Len! " he rolled away with his mother.

" Sayonara, watashi no yujin. " I bidded him farewell with a soft smile on my face, and I didn't even notice it.

CHAPTER 29 XX END XX

[ " Watashi no yujin " meant, My friend in Japanese. Sorry! I like imagining my stories in anime, I imagine them as anime characters happening in my mind! Its a good thing though, it gives me creativity! ]