Chapter 4: The Person in the Mirror

With it being the day of the reunion, he can't help but dread going. All the emotions he's been trying to avoid are going to collide tonight if she shows up, and, let's be honest, he isn't exactly known for expressing himself in the healthiest of ways. He splashes water on his face to wake himself up before peering into the mirror to see his crimson eyes staring back.

Katsuki Bakugo cringes at the sight of his own reflection. How could he let some insignificant person cause so much turmoil within himself? These last few days have been agonizing for him seeing that pink cheeked girl all around town as it became abundantly clear she is back.

He saw her again while on patrol in the shopping district with all those extras they went to school with who could never hold a candle to Ochako. She had the happiest smile on her face. One that he could feel himself missing, but upset that it wasn't him who was the reason for her apparent happiness.

Bakugo continues to stare at himself in the mirror after bringing himself back to the present. Those memories are still so painful. Even now, he still feels the ache in his chest left from that night. He feels idiotic for thinking that promise means something after all these years. He could have any woman he wanted at the drop of a hat and that he did, but that damn girl reappearing in his life is already fucking with his mind.

"Bro! Earth to Bakugo! Hello?!" Bakugo brings himself out of his reverie to hear Kirishima's voice at the door to his apartment walking in trying to get his attention. "Dude, what's going on man? I've been calling you and you never picked up your phone. The reunion's going to start soon Bakubro. We gotta get going."

His buddy stands nonchalantly at the doorframe to the bathroom seeing that Bakugo still hasn't even changed into the outfit he prepared for him days ago.

"How the fuck did you get in here, you red haired little shit!" Bakugo yells at friend.

"Geez, what the hell did I do to deserve that? I haven't heard you call me that in a hot minute. Wanna talk about it, man?" Kirishima asks with a knowing smirk on his face.

Kirishima wisely surmises that this must have something to do with Ochako's sudden reappearance. He knows that she is the only person in the entire world that could get his friend feeling this way at the drop of a hat. No one could be around him and his BakuRage when the paparazzi incident happened a few years back capturing Ochako making out with some American hero overseas. Bakugo became almost unhinged after that for a while, and it took some time for him to get back to his old self after it. Now, it's been a couple days since they saw the girls of class while on patrol and Bakugo was, at best, distracted for the rest of the day at work because of it and, of course, his best friend took notice.

Kirishima's girlfriend, Mina, tells him everything about the comings and goings of all their former classmates, so he's well aware that she's back in town, and for good, he might add. Which means Bakugo is going to have to face this soon or later.

"Tch," Bakugo clicks his tongue avoiding eye contact before saying, "I'm not going."

Kirishima was there when Bakugo returned to the dorms the day after Ochako unexpectedly left for America. It was rough seeing his best friend like that. He's never seen him so eerily quiet and melancholy. He was worried to say the least. What surprised him even more was that Bakugo was the first to bring it up.

"She's gone," Bakugo muttered as they sat quietly in his dorm room to talk privately.

"What do you mean? Who's gone?" Kirishima asked.

"You know who I'm talking about. Ochako," Bakugo stated staring at his hands with solemn eyes downcast.

Never in his life, would Kirishima expect Bakugo of all people to address someone by their first name. Shit, he never even got that honor being his best friend and all. He was confused to say the least, but it all began making sense when he began to think about it. He knew they were close, but it was always on the down low so he never bothered Bakugo about it. He must've had his reasons, but thinking about all the little instances that made those two so close made him realize how much her absence must be hurting his friend inside.

All the times Bakugo would sneak away to train with a mysterious sparring partner and come back with some scrapes and bruises, but the biggest grin on his face. The soft looks he would give her across the classroom. Each year, their seating arrangement in class would get them closer and closer together. How she was one of the only with the balls to stand up and dish it right back to him time and time again, and he'd actually listen, sorta! That was a sight to see.

And the Sports Festivals. How could he forget all three festivals each year at school when they faced each other year after year in the individual tournament! He face palms himself inside his head. The way he acted during their last year when they faced off in the finals. What an ending. All the clues were right there in front of him, but he never bothered to connect the dots. His friend must be so heartbroken having to see her leave.

So this was the girl who brought Katsuki Bakugo to his knees. The third best student in their entire last year of school behind Bakugo and Todoroki, huh? That sweet and endearing girl with the unbreakable spirit and drive was able to break through his, albeit, rough exterior and capture his heart.

He was here for his friend now, though. He cautiously asked, seeing as his friend was being quite forthright about his feelings right now, "so what's the real reason she left?"

"She found a better opportunity to become a stronger hero. Being here with me isn't enough anymore. Staying close to me only keeps her in my shadow, and she deserves better than that," Bakugo admitted with his head hanging low in his hands.

"So you both decided to go your separate ways?" Kirishima asked and Bakugo nodded his head slowly in affirmation.

"I couldn't bring myself to hold her back anymore. I'm not what she needs right now," Bakugo acknowledged albeit begrudgingly.

"Dude, that's deep. You love her that much, don't you?"

"More than anything in this whole fucking world, and I never got to tell her," Bakugo confirmed, hanging his head even lower.

"So, what are you gonna do now?" Kirishima pushed, hearing his friend take a deep breath.

"I'm gonna fucking wait for her. When she comes back a top hero, she's gonna be mine. That's what we promised each other and there's no way in hell she'll fail," Bakugo said confidently as the fire returned to his eyes and that signature smirk plastered itself back on his face.

 That's what we promised each other and there's no way in hell she'll fail," Bakugo said confidently as the fire returned to his eyes and that signature smirk plastered itself back on his face