XIII

Everything was shattered in her room so he safely maneuvered them to her bed. He swipes the broken pieces of glass with his shoes as he squats down on the floor and he sits her down on the edge of the bed.

"Hey.. Look at me." He tugs on her hand. Begrudgingly, she obeys. "Stop crying, hm?"

"Please leave, Hansol.."

"I am not going to go anywhere. Look, your knuckles are bruised and bloody." He sighs. "Sofia! Please go fetch a first-aid kit."

"On it!" She disappears into the hallway.

"H-he broke the relationship we had, Hansol. H-he.." She starts to cry again. He kneels so she could lower her forehead to his shoulder and she cries harder. "I thought.. We would face it together. He just gave up mid-way. I already made a choice but he was done."

"Shh..." He rubs her back up and down.

"Hansol.. I'm pregnant. Mingyu's the Father. I secretly went out of the palace in disguise to go to a hospital. I had my suspicions when I missed my period for 6 days. Turns out I am pregnant by a week. I didn't have any other closure with anyone else but Mingyu."

He closes his eyes and nods. "Okay okay. I'll keep it a secret. Don't worry. It's safe with me."

"I'm so sorry..."

"Why are you apologizing?" He looks at her, she wipes her tears away with the back of her hand.

"I know that we're friends. But yeah, we'll still be married. I know we don't like each other in that way. But I failed my duties as a wife to her husband. I should only let my husband touch me, whether we both like it or not. And yet, here I am-" He smiles.

"Don't worry. Don't be sorry. Okay? It happened already.. And about Mingyu, we'll figure something out."

°

It was the evening of the wedding night. The main ceremony ended 2 hours ago. They weren't happy with it, but they didn't not like it either.

During the "Kiss of the Bride" moment, Hansol was quick to place a peck on her lips and she was thankful because he respected her situation.

Now, it was the after-banquet. They were seated under the elevated arched dragons as there were dancers in the center.

"Thank you, Hansol." She softly whispers, not looking at him.

"Whatever it is, you're welcome." He smiled.

"Congratulations to the newly wedded!" Seungcheol cheers. The ministers and everyone else repeated after him.

"If your mother was here.. She would be so happy to see how beautiful you've grown." Seungcheol smiles at her but she put a straight face on.

She was still upset with him, despite the fact that she really wants to talk to him and hug him.

"I see, you don't want to talk to me. I understand. I truly want to apologize sincerely, my child. You were right, I am an incompetent King of Ezren. That is why, I am hoping.. Your brothers are different than me. I hope, they are like you. That.. They will stand up for themselves without worrying of the consequences in some sort. I'll let you have time with your husband now. I'm so proud of what you've become, Alistair."

Her second name was her last straw. When he turned away, she sobbed quietly to herself.

Hansol takes her hand and rubs circles on it. "It's okay.. Take your time to let it sink in. Nobody is rushing you."