XXVIII

"My Princess. I have returned. I apologize, I have been late." Mingyu bows down to her feet. She flinches and helps him to stand up.

"N-no. It's okay-"

What a wonderful liar.

"Did you say something?" Mingyu looks at her.

"I'm sorry?"

You've been such a pathological liar all these years.

"Who are you?!" Mingyu takes out his silver sword and puts her behind his back.

Dumbass idiot. I'm inside your head. Let me just say it in one phrase. Don't cut me off.

"What-"

Stop. You've been lying to yourself. You haven't let go of him, of Mingyu. You married Hansol with a delicate fragment of hope that the man before you at the end of the aisle was him. Why do you think you got sick again? It's because of your stupidity.

You have committed a grave sin, as a wife who should be loyal to her husband and her husband only. You haven't given him all of you. As a Princess, you have failed. It is your duty to give yourself to your husband, whose a Prince.

You failed, as a mother. Harris needs your tending and attention. Your son is a two year old child, for his sake.

"No, stop! Stop!" She covered her ears, shaking in fear. Falling to her heels. Mingyu drops his sword in shock and picks her up.

"Don't listen to those voices." He shakes her gently. "I thought they were already gone." He whispers to himself.

"M-mingyu... Help me." Her voice came out weak before her eyes rolled to the back of her head and she falls limp in his arms.

°

Mingyu looks at her with tears in his eyes. Even in her sleep, she's flinching.

"You really did get married to him.." He brings his right hand to her cheeks, to where she caressed them gently. In her sleep, she curled into a ball facing his direction and holding his hand close to her chest.

"At least, my love.. Your dreams came true. I might not be the one who holds the other half of your ring, the father of your child.. I will be the one to protect you from any harm. I will not leave your side again. I promise."

"Mommy?" Mingyu turns over to Harris who opened the door. Mingyu puts his index against his lips and the little Prince follows.

"Mommy sleep?" Mingyu nods.

"She is sleeping, My Prince." Harris climbs to his lap, holding his left arm close to his little stomach.

"Mommy pretty." Mingyu smiles and nods.

"The Princess is indeed beautiful. Her brothers are male flowers, of course.. Her Highness won't be any different."

"You keep mommy safe?" Harris mumbles, playing with the Knight's long fingers.

"I'm keeping your mommy safe, with my life." Harris looks up at him and smiles softly.

"Thank you.. Grandad Simon said mommy been sad before Harris was here. She missed you. I heard mommy and daddy fight because of you. I don't know why they fought but daddy accidentally hit mommy once."

Unknowingly to himself, he's clenched his knuckles until Harris pats his big hands softly.

"That was a long time ago. Daddy and mommy don't fight now. I will cry." He nods. "Please don't hit mommy.. I don't like seeing mommy cry.. Please promise me." Harris looks at him with big pupils and Mingyu holds himself back to squish the living cells out of this child.

"I promise, Harris. Don't worry.. I'm not making the same mistakes again. I won't make your mommy cry." Harris smiles and places a small wet kiss on the tip of Mingyu's sharp nose.

"Harris go now. Daddy will look for me. Keep my mommy safe! Byeeee!"

"I will keep her safe. Always." He bends down to place a kiss on her forehead. "It's been such a long time... I'm glad you've been doing fine without me. I guess, I owe Hansol a favor."

"Alistair.. Wake up. Please, my child. Wake up. We miss you and we need you here."