Chapter 47

- Orre Colosseum -

Michael couldn't believe what he was witnessing. The Colosseum was immense. It was hard to see the top.
High pillars were build in front of its entrance to mark the path one needs to use to get to the entrance.
Eagun was standing next to one of the pillars. Michael walked up to him.
"This is the colosseum? It's huge!"
"Ah, hello, Michael. Very good of you to come. It is, indeed. If you plan to take the Orre Colosseum challenge, go to the reception area there."
Eagun pointed to the spot the registration lady stood.

As he approached the colosseum, he was already able to get a glance from the inside. The battle arena seemed to be huge as well.
"Welcome to the Orre Colosseum." The lady started. "At the Orre Colosseum, we use different rules from the Pyrite and Realgam Colosseums. If you wish, I can explain the rules."
"Yes, please."
"At the Orre Colosseum, double battles are conducted. You are permitted to battle with four Pokémon. Please be aware that certain kinds of Pokémon are not permitted. Similarly, Pokémon will be prohibited from holding certain kinds of items. The battles are held in knockout style. You must beat four trainers in a row to win your challenge. If you win the challenge, you may advance to the next group of opponents. If you lose, you will face the same group of opponents in your next challenge. If you manage to win a round, you will be rewarded with Poké Coupons. That's all I can tell you. I will be happy to give you this information whenever you like. Please approach me if you want to hear about it."
"It sounds tough. But I'm willing to enter. Is that possible?"
"Hm... Perhaps you should make a challenge to gain experience. Are you ready to enter?"
"Uhh, yeah, I think so."
"Thank you. May I check your Pokémon for a second?"
"Oh, yeah, sure."
The lady checked what Pokémon Michael had with him and what items they were holding. She approved them all. She clapped in her hands once. "Okay! Let the Orre Colosseum Battles begin! Please, go in!"

Michael did as she said.
From the inside, Michael could see the arena seemed even bigger than anticipated. It was somewhat intimidating.
He chose four Pokémon to use in round one: Crobat (1), Jolteon (2) Houndoom (3)and Walrein (4).

His opponent had appeared and was ready to battle. He sent out his Parasect and Slowbro first.
"Slowbro, focus."
"Jolteon, use Thunderbolt! Crobat, use Wing Attack!"
Parasect fainted and Slowbro lost its focus so couldn't move. Their third Pokémon was a Jynx.
"Jynx, use Ice Beam!"
"Go, Houndoom! Jolteon, Thunderbolt!"
Slowbro fainted and got replaced by Breloom.
"Jynx, use Lovely Kiss!"
"Evade it! Then paralyze it!"
"Breloom, Sludge Bomb!"
"Houndoom, use Flamethrower on Breloom!"
Breloom fainted.
"Now, use Flamethrower and Bite!"
Jynx fainted.
Michael could advance to the second round.

Round two started with Houndoom & Breloom vs. Slowking & Cacturne.

"Breloom, use Mach Punch!"
"Cacturne, Teeter Dance."
'Crap.'
Houndoom hurt itself.
"Slowking, Psychic!"
Breloom got replaced by Crobat.
"Use Shadow Ball, Crobat!"
"Teeter Dance."
"Flamethrower!"
Cacturne fainted. Grumpig got sent out.
"Slowking, Surf! Grumpig, Ice Punch!"
Houndoom had to be switched out for Aggron.
"Crobat, use Confuse Ray!"
Crobat hurt itself instead.
"Grumpig, use Psychic!"
"Aggron, Earthquake!"
"Slowking, Surf to end the battle!"

"Well... That didn't go well." Michael scoffed to himself after his loss.
He reentered. Lost a second time. Then lost again. And again.

Countless and countless of attempts later, Michael was finally able to win all four rounds against trainers - including Eldes as a surprise finalist. The catch was that everyone had perfectly bred Pokémon with the perfect EVs, IVs, natures and all.

"Eagun! What the hell were you thinking of creating his place?! Their Pokémon were almost impossible to beat!"
"Hohoho. But you won just now, didn't you?"
"I-... AARGHH!" Michael marched away before his anger would get the best from him.
"Stupid old man..." He mumbled as he stepped onto his scooter and drove off to the HQ Lab to purify the remaining Shadow Pokémon.

---

"Michael! Michael!" The Purify Chamber's operator called as she saw him arrive.
"Huh? Is something the matter?"
"Come! Come inside!"
Michael frowned, but did as she asked.

Most of the lab's staff had gathered around the platform, chatting excitingly with each other.
"What's with all the fuss?" Michael asked.
"Ah, Michael! After you placed Shadow Lugia in the Purify Chamber, and left, we could notice some changes in it!"
"What do you mean?"
"We don't know ourselves either. We can't help it but see something different with it when studying its data.

Michael started the purifying ceremony with the Pokémon, starting with Exeggutor. Next were Lapras, Tauros, Rhydon, Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno and Dragonite.
Last but not least, it was Lugia's turn. Indeed, there was something different. Its hologram was acting in an odd way. It was flickering. Lugia's Heart Gauge was empty, which meant it was ready to get its heart fully opened.
Michael started the ceremony. As it went on, Lugia's colors changed. It regained its original white and blue colors.
"Whoa..."

Michael got out of the system.
"Michael, you did it! You purified Lugia!"
"I can't believe it. Does this mean... Does this mean that it's really over?"
"Yes, dear." Lily walked in. "It's really over."
Michael still had to let it sink in. He couldn't fully believe it yet.
"It's late now. Go to your room and get some rest. Starting tomorrow, the normal life will resume again."
"Oh, yeah."
Michael slowly started walking away.
"Oh, Michael?"
"Yes, mom?"
Lily smiled. "I'm proud of you."
Michael smiled as well, then went to his room.

---

*The next morning*

Michael went to the ground floor. He spoke to Aidan about the impression the purification process left on himself and what he had learned.
Aidan went for a stroll after their conversation.
Michael stayed behind. He removed the Snag Machine from his arm and placed it on the table in Aidan's room.
He looked at it for a while, remembering all the memories he had made with it. Remembering all of his achievements, he let out a sigh.
"Jo~lteon."
Jolteon had come to see him and softly rubbed her head against Michael's leg.
"Oh, hey, girl."
Jolteon looked at the table with the Snag Machine.
"I guess we won't be needing it anymore, huh, Jolteon?"
"Jolt?"
"It's alright. We'll store it in a safe place. Come."
Michael walked towards the doors, Jolteon following him. In the door opening, he looked back over his shoulder to get a last glimpse of the Snag Machine.
He then walked out of the doors to the front lawn and his days at the lab became like they used to be. Sometimes letting the whole plot with Cipher feel like a bad dream.