Chapter 44

'Through these doors now!' Michael thought and almost barged through them.

"Eldes!" Master Greevil snarled as he and Eldes looked in the sound's direction.
"Sir!"
"Who allowed this child to penetrate our defences so deeply?! What is the meaning of this?! The others can't be counted on at all. I am giving you the responsibility of dealing with this child."
Greevil and his chairhovered away.
Eldes approached Michael.
"You've finally managed to anger Master Greevil. I thought I would end up battling you one day... But this isn't how I had hoped to face you."
Michael frowned a little.
"If we battle, it will only be unfulfilling and without meaning. Will you challenge me knowing that?"
'What's he talking about?' Michael thought before saying something. "Yes. I will."
"Fine. I understand. But once we begin, expect no mercy. That is my philosophy."
Michael nodded, then sent out his Pokémon at the same time as Eldes: Jolteon & Walrein vs. Ninjask and Shadow Manectric.
"Thunder Wave his Manectric!"
"Silver Wind. Shadow Sky."
"Ice Beam, Walrein!" (Ninjask fainted)
"Come back. Salamence."
The Aura Reader let Michael know there were two Shadow Pokémon on the field right now.
"Thunder Wave on Salamence."
"Use Shadow Hold."
"Use Rain Dance to remove Shadow Sky!"
"Shadow Mist."
"Thunderbolt. Water Pulse."
"Shadow Sky. Shadow Rush."
"Walrein, no! Go, Breloom."
Michael threw a Snag Ball at Manectric. However, it got out at the last moment.
Eldes smirked. "Use Shadow Mist."
"False Swipe!"
"Shadow Hold."
Manectric got caught at the second try.
"Breloom, False Swipe!"
"Go, Flygon."
Salamance was caught as well in the next turn.
"Marowak."
The Aura Reader responded.
'A third one?'
"Flygon, Flamethrower."
Michael healed up his Breloom.
"Flygon, Double-edge."
"Breloom, use Stun Spore to Paralyze Marowak!"
"Use Shadow End on his Jolteon."
"Come back! Crobat, I choose you. Attack his Flygon!"
"Double-edge. Shadow End."
Crobat fainted and had to be replaced by Aggron.
Michael's next decision was capturing Shadow Marowak, which he did.
"Breloom, use Mach Punch!"
Eldes got a pained expression on his face as he was down to his last Pokémon. "Go, Lapras."
"Another Shadow Pokémon. Breloom, paralyze it with Stun Spore. Aggron, use Double-Edge."
"Shadow Sky."
"Double-Edge!"
"Shadow Storm."
'Time to snag it. Go, Snag Ball!'

"...I see. We lost. You are powerful. Much more than I had imagined. If you aim to stop our plan, then you should keep going. However, the Grand Master's power is probably far greater than you can imagine. I doubt you will beat the man..."
With those words, Eldes walked away.

Finally being able to look around, it was clear this room was for research purposes. There was even a huge screen in the back on which they showed simulated battles to come up with strategies.

---

Michael took a deep breath as he took the last elevator up. With a fully healed up team, he was on his way to the final showdown.

Master Greevil was awaiting his arrival in he dome's upper part. He chuckled as his chair turned around.
"So, you have even come this far. I had no idea that a mere child like you would pursue me this long. Professor Krane, Data Roms and the Lair... You alone derailed every one of our well-laid plans. Well, perhaps not just you. The news broadcast by ONBS did not help Cipher's cause at all. However, My Shadow Pokémon plan isn't finished yet. The final act is about to unfold. Having come this far, I think you've earned the right to know what I have planned."
Michael's heart was racing due to the adrenaline rushing through his body. "I'm listening."
"The creation of Shadow Pokémon that permanently resist purification. That was the first step. Next, I plan to create an army of Shadow Pokémon that work independently on my orders alone. When this second step is done, I will take over the world without having to rely on bothersome people. And now..."
Michael got startled by a loud noise.
The wall behind Greevil started moving, creating a huge opening. Michael could now see the dark clouds that surrounded the place.
"Let me introduce you to my faithful servant. The one that shall become the central figure in my Shadow Pokémon army. Come forth, XD001!"
An unpleasant feeling filled Michael's body when hearing that name. The Pokémon he heard rumours about. The one Pokémon that cannot be purified.

A big creature flew through the skies, circling around the dome until it reached the created opening. It flew in. The atmospheric pressure increased.
Michael's eyes widened. Uneasiness disappeared, making place for feelings of fear.
He recognised some features: the head, the wings, body and tail. He concluded it looked like the legendary Pokémon Lugia. But it was clear it wasn't a normal one. This one wasn't white with blue highlights. Instead, it was dark purple to black with grey-ish features and had bright red eyes.
Lugia flew above Master Greevil.
"Code name XD001... Now freed of all adjustments, I present to you: Shadow Lugia! This Lugia is the first of the Shadow Pokémon that cannot be purified. Now, let us celebrate the completion of my Shadow Pokémon plan in advance! Fall prey to Shadow Lugia!"
Lugia let out its loud, ominous cry, sending shivers down Michael's spine.
Frozen in fear, Michael watched XD001 as it got closer.
Jolteon jumped out of her Poké Ball to try and snap Michael back to reality.
"Jolt! Jolteon!"
No response.
Jolteon growled softly and used a weaker form of her Thunderbolt to get Michael's attention.
"Ouch! Jolteon!"
"Teon!"
"H-how are we going to battle that thing?! Have you seen it?!"
Greevil let out a short, satisfied laugh.
"Rrrr." Jolteon ripped open one of Michael's pockets.
"What are you-?" Michael saw the Master Ball that Professor Krane had given him fall onto the floor. Still trembling of fear and not wanting to anger the Lugia more, he carefully picked the purple ball up.
When XD001 let out another loud cry, Michael flinched. It took him a few moments to unfreeze. Then he closed his eyes and threw the Master Ball at Shadow Lugia.
The Master Ball moved around a lot, showing Lugia's high fighting spirit. There were even moments it looked like it was about to break free.
'W-will it really work?'