Chapter Thirty-Three

Madelyn woke up in a bed with cream-colored silk sheets that felt smooth under her skin. When she opened her eyes, she immediately wished she hadn't. Her eyes burnt every time she blinked and every little movement made her head ache just a bit more. Her muscles felt sore when she moved.

Madelyn could barely remember how she ended up where she was and everything that she did remember felt like a dream. That was the only explanation for her memories. That they were a dream.

She vaguely remembered that she had been in the middle of the ocean, yet she found a way to convince herself it was all a dream. There was no way she could just appear in the middle of the ocean. In reality, she had probably just fallen asleep while in the library. What other explanation was there? This was all a dream; she was in a dream.

Of course, she also had no idea where she was at the moment or even no memory of how she'd gotten there. The room she was in had shelves filled with books covering the walls. In the middle of the wall facing her, were deep red drapes that covered windows, shutting out all light except a thin line of sunlight that escaped where the two drapes met each other in the middle.

Madelyn pushed the blankets off herself and slid her legs over the side of the bed, letting her feet touch the wooden floor underneath. She looked over the edge of the bed and found a pair of boots to her left and pulled them on. Those were definitely not the shoes she remembered putting on before she left for the library, however they fit her perfectly. As she slowly stood up, she got the feeling the ground was very subtly swaying and she prayed that it was just her imagination. She took a few steps towards the wooden door with a gold door frame that was just a few feet away from the foot of the bed.

Madelyn slowly turned the doorknob, pausing before she pushed the door open, scared of what she would find on the other side. When she opened it, she found herself in the middle of a small, dimly lit passage with more doors on either side of her. Madelyn followed the turns of the passage that led her to a staircase. At the end of the staircase was a door made of wood and stained glass which lit up that end of the staircase with sunlight that it let in.

Madelyn climbed up the staircase and once again put her hand on the doorknob, pausing. This time, she could hear the faint buzz of voices on the other side of the door, only helping raise her anxiety.

The moment she opened the door, she could the voices got louder and louder, changing from a small buzz to full cheers.

She took a shaky breath and stepped out into the sunlight which cast a warm glow on her skin. Madelyn's eyes widened at the scene in front of her. Seeing it, she wished that she'd just stayed in bed and tried to go back to sleep. Maybe then, she'd wake back up in the library.

Two men- or maybe teenagers- were sword fighting with the rest of the people crowding around and cheering. They were both immensely focused on their "duel" of sorts and didn't even notice her standing in the back at first. In fact, not one person in the large crowd saw her.

They noticed her when the younger-looking of the two swordfighters took a few steps back, backing up right into Madelyn and almost knocking her over.

Madelyn flinched with a gasp, backing up into the door behind her. Her heart was thumping in her chest and she wished that she could just melt into the door behind her.

"Sorry, I-" The boy said turning around but stopped when he saw Madelyn. His mouth opened as he looked at the girl in front of him. The girl he hadn't seen in a year. The girl that he'd missed more than anyone or anything else. What he didn't realize was that although he recognized her instantly, she had no clue who he was.

Seeing her up and about, a smile immediately made its way onto Edmund's face. And it wasn't the smirk or half-smile that he had been putting up for the last year. It was a genuine smile. It was a smile that confused Madelyn even further when she saw it.