Chapter Nineteen

"I don't know about this."

"About what?" Edmund turned to look at her, making her look at him pointedly.

The two were currently sitting in the room with the stone table. It was a few hours past midnight and Edmund was sitting to the right, with a thick book balanced in his right hand. Madelyn was sitting opposite him a few feet away with her elbows resting on her knees.

"This entire plan. I mean, on paper it makes sense, but..." Madelyn drifted off. Edmund could tell something was bothering her. He closed his book, keeping his pointer finger in the middle to hold his place before turning all his attention to her.

"What?"

"I just- something about it makes me uncomfortable. Like the idea of a duel. It's not that I think Peter will lose because I know he can win. The thing is, even though he can win, what tells you Miraz will honor it? I mean, he's... just plain awful. Eddie I- I don't know anymore." She was exhausted. She knew it and he could see it. He could see that no matter how much she tried to hide it, a small part of her was still terrified from what had happened to her a few days ago and it made sense. She went through a lot.

"I know what you're thinking. Trust me, I don't trust him in the slightest, but this is the only option we have. Anyway, remember, if he decides to do anything weird, we're all going to be there with Peter." He got up, walking to where she was sitting, and sat down next to her. Madelyn looked up at him feeling something she hadn't ever felt before with him. As he got closer to her, all of a sudden, she felt a little nervous.

"Anyway, doesn't matter. You have the best swordsman in all of Narnia right by your side." Madelyn saw the smirk coming before it was even on his face. It was enough to make Madelyn's nose scrunch up.

"Ed, if you don't shut up-" There was a smile of amusement on her face.

"Yeah, what are you gonna do about it?" Her eyebrows drew in and there was a hint of a smirk on her face. She narrowed her eyes and looked at him.

"I-" She had no idea what to answer.

"What?" He challenged her, amused at the fact that he had shut her up. She ran her tongue over her teeth, letting out a laugh.

"You know, you are very annoying." He winked at her with a goofy smile.

***

Madelyn and Edmund were walking down the field towards the enemy camp, holding olive branches to signify peace. It was still early in the morning and normally, Madelyn would still be sleeping. Edmund held his still and upright as he was supposed to, but Madelyn- being the person she was- was playing around with it and somehow had already broken off a good chunk of the branch and left it behind somewhere a few meters back.

"Seriously, why did I let you come with me? And how did you even do this?" Edmund motioned towards the branch in her hand and put his hand on hers, stopping swinging around the branch. Madelyn shot him a cheeky grin.

"You let me come with you cause you love me too much to say no. Besides, it's not my fault. I think I was given a weaker branch." Edmund rolled his eyes at her. His heart jumped at her choice of words. It was the worst feeling in the world. It was like he couldn't stand being away from her, but being around her was intolerable because when he was around her, all he could think about was her radiant smile, her beautiful hazel eyes that resembled all the colors of a forest, her long and wavy dark brown hair, or her voice that sounded like music to his ears.

"I just got you back out of there. I don't want you to get hurt." Edmund shook his head, gently looking at her. Madelyn's eyes softened for a little.