Chapter Fifty

AN: Okay, so I can't believe were so close to finishing. There's literally only one more chapter left and then I think there will also be an epilogue. But this is so exciting omg. I'll try to have the next chapter out as soon as I can but it might end up taking a while because I have three big tests coming up. Anyway, this is a relatively short chapter but it works out best that way. I hope everyone likes it and has a great day! Also, sorry about the super long authors note lol.

"Try and kill me! Come on!" Yelled Edmund from the tip of the ship as he waved his torch at the sea serpent.

Madelyn furrowed her eyebrows looking at Edmund. She couldn't help but think he was being incredibly stupid and finally, she couldn't help herself.

She was about to break into a run, going to him to help. She knew he'd made her promise not to, but she couldn't help it. But just as she moved, Caspian- who was standing next to her- caught her by the elbow, holding her back.

"Caspian!" She yelled, frustratedly.

"I'm not going to let you go." He argued, keeping her arm in his grip.

"Come on! I'm here!" Edmund yelled, trying to get the attention of the serpent and agitate it further.

Edmund was successful in getting its attention. It lunched right at where Edmund was, almost smashing that part of the ship.

The sight of it made Madelyn's heart drop.

"No! Ed!" She yelled in panic, along with Caspian and Lucy.

The serpent broke off the part of the ship that Edmund was on, only further breaking their hope. For a moment, Madelyn thought of the worst.

But then, Edmund emerged back out and stood up. Madelyn let out a breath she didn't know she had been holding.

The the back, Drinian's voice commanded "archers, ready yourselves!"

Lucy got into position with a bow and arrow. As Madelyn helped Caspian, she also watched the archers and her mind went back to the countless times she had tried archery and failed miserably. The one time she had done it right was with Edmund.

In the year that she spent in Narnia, Caspian had tried to train her in archery countless times but their efforts had always gone without any real success.

Edmund continued to try to keep full attention of the serpent, something that worried Madelyn deeply.

Right as the creature opened its mouth for Edmund, Lucy let go of her arrow. It flew directly into the back of the serpent's throat and it let out a bloodcurdling screech.

"Brace yourselves!" Yelled Caspian from beside Madelyn, shielding her with his body.

The serpent fell forward, making the ship lurched forward and Edmund fall to the deck.

Madelyn pushed Caspian's arm away, running to Edmund before Caspian could stop her.

She rushed to Edmund, helping him up. She knew that the time wasn't quite right, but she didn't care. She wrapped her arms around him, burying her head into his shoulder.

It wasn't a long embrace, however. They didn't have time for that. They quickly let go, turning back around.

The serpent shrieked from behind her and Edmund.

The next thing she heard was a shout from Caspian. "Move!" He yelled, jumping at them, pushing them out of the way just in time to escape the serpent which had attacked that exact spot.

Caspian grabbed a sword lying near him and sliced off a part of the serpent. As it fell to the deck in front of them, it vaporized into green smoke.

All three of them exchanged glances of realization.

"We can beat this," said Caspian.

"We have to get it closer," suggested Edmund they watched the serpent attack the ship.

"All hands to the main deck! Ready the harpoons!" Ordered Caspian.

Edmund ran and jumped onto a rope, climbing up to the top of the ship while Madelyn and Caspian held harpoons with the rest of the crew.

"Ready?" Asked Caspian.

"Aye sir!" Yelled the rest of the crew.

"Now!" He ordered.

They threw the harpoons at the serpent with all their strength.

The harpoons pierced the skin of the serpent, making it violently shake itself to get them out.

"Pull its head down!" Caspian yelled as they all pulled on the ropes, trying to bring the serpent down.

"Heave!" Caspian yelled.

The serpent was strong, almost pulling the ropes out of their hands.

As they pulled the serpent, Edmund climbed up the ropes.

But right as everything felt like it might work, it didn't. The serpent yanked, making them all fall and lose grip of the ropes. One glance up, and Madelyn could see that Edmund was frozen, staring off into space.

But then Edmund's sword started glowing a bright blue that lit up the area around him.

"Edmund!" Yelled Madelyn at the top of her lungs, praying to Aslan that he had heard her.

"Do it!" Yelled Caspian, struggling to keep the ropes in his hands.

"Come on!" Yelled Edmund, holding the sword out in front of the serpent.

The serpent chose to lunge at Edmund. It was the wrong choice for the serpent, but the right one for them.

As it opened its mouth at Edmund but before it could even touch Edmund, Edmund held out his sword, plunging it into the roof of the serpent's mouth.