Chapter Forty-One

AN: Okay, so I know this chapter is way overdue. Like it's been a long time and that's completely my fault. I had no idea how I wanted to do this chapter because there were a lot of ways I could've done this. I finally got to this place and I think this works best. It's a bit short but I thought that this was the perfect way to end this chapter. I cannot wait for the next chapter cause omg I'm so excited.

The girl hadn't shown any signs of waking up anytime soon. It had been a bit over a week and she hadn't even moved a finger. Nobody knew what it would take for her to wake up. Her skin was paler than it had been and looking at her, Edmund couldn't help but remember the last time he'd seen her like this: when they got her back from the Telmarine Castle.

Edmund had been at her side almost the entire time and when he wasn't there, either Caspian or Lucy would be. In the past couple days, however, it had started to become difficult for anyone to constantly stay with her.

Conditions had taken a turn for the worse as of late. The previously calm sea and sunny skies had been replaced with violent waves and awful storms.

Nobody in the crew mentioned it but everyone knew deep down that there was something insidious looming over them. It was something they could just feel no matter what they did. And it was nowhere near good.

Silence was hard to find through the shouting of the crew, the boom of thunder, and the waves crashing against the Dawn Treader. There was only chaos.

Caspian sat in the room gazing out the window at the sea. The dim lighting in the room didn't do much to lighten his mood. It cast a depressing glow on everything in the room and was made even worse by the gray skies outside the window. His cousin- who to him was even more than a sister- was lying unconscious in a room and they hadn't seen any sign of land in days. How could he possibly feel enthusiastic.

Edmund stood to the side. He didn't want to be there. Caspian had insisted for him to be ther however. Yet, deep down, even he knew that sitting next to Madelyn for hours on end wouldn't do anyone any good.

"So we're stuck here," Drinian put a marker down on the map marking their spot. Caspian paid no attention and Edmund watched expressionlessly. There was a moment before Drinian sighed and continued speaking.

"With half rations, with food and water for two more weeks maximum." It was a grim topic. However, they couldn't just ignore the facts. If things didn't change soon, they wouldn't make it back to Narnia alive.

"This is your last chance to turn back, Your Majesties." Drinian- from the way he said it- wanted to turn back.

"There's no guarantee we'll spot the blue star anytime soon. Not in this storm." He was right. The sky hadn't been clear in days and so far, there wasn't even any evidence of the existence of a blue star.

"Needle in a haystack, trying to find this Ramandu place. We could sail right past it and off the edge of the world." Drinian spoke with a melancholic tone.

"Or get eaten by a sea serpent," Edmund muttered under his breath without the usual sarcasm that his words carried. Caspian lifted his gaze to glance at Edmund. He couldn't decide how to feel about anything.

"I'm just saying, the men are getting nervous. These are strange seas we're sailing, the likes of which I've never seen before." Drinian turned back to Caspian who finally stood up and spoke.

"Then perhaps, Captain, you would like to be the person to explain to Mr. Rhince that we're abandoning the search for his family." Caspian's words were final. He wasn't in the mood for anything but business.

Drinian looked at Caspian before accepting defeat, "I'll get back to it." He turned, but before he left the room, he left one last lingering warning. "Just a word of warning, the sea can play nasty tricks on a crew's mind. Very nasty." He then turned to pull on the rest of his coat before opening the door and leaving.

Caspian and Edmund exchanged glances. Both knew that this journey would indeed be a difficult one. One that neither of them would be ready for.

For a moment, neither of them spoke. Neither was in the mood to speak.

"I should go check on everything," Caspian said, turning to Edmund as he pulled his coat on. Edmund nodded.

"You go ahead, I'll be up in a bit." Caspian nodded before leaving the room.

Edmund took a deep breath before turning to look at Susan's bow and arrow which were perched on a shelf. As he was looking at it, the door behind him opened and Lucy burst in with wide eyes.

"Lucy, what-" He looked at his sister with wide eyes. She cut him off.

"She's awake." There was no need for her to say anything else. He knew what she meant.

Lucy grabbed his arm and pulled him with her. Right as they reached the door, Lucy held her arm out to stop him.

"Edmund, just don't be too overbearing. She's all over the place." Edmund nodded, ecstatic to see her. The girl hadn't been awake in forever and that wasn't it. There was the possibility that she would remember everything.

Lucy opened the door and let him in, closing it behind him, not coming inside with him. Edmund slowly walked in, seeing Madelyn in the middle of the bed with her knees pulled up to her chest and her head resting on the top of her knees. She didn't move when the door opened.

For a moment, Edmund was scared to speak. But

"Parker?" He hadn't called her that in a while. It felt good. Technically, he still didn't know if she really had her memories back or not. He'd been in too much of a rush to ask Lucy. He just hoped.

At the sound of his voice, she lifted her head and looked at him with no emotion in her eyes. She just stared for a moment.

His heart was jumping around in his chest as he waited for her to speak. Yet, she said nothing. Instead, she jumped up off the bed and up to him, wrapping her arms around his neck.

The embrace caught him off guard, making him stumble back a few steps before he wrapped his arms around her waist. That one embrace was enough for him to feel like everything was okay again. And maybe it was.

<Forty-Two: Preview>

"Hi," her voice came out in a whisper. She could barely believe everything that was going on. Her head was pounding and everything felt weird. At the same time, however, she finally felt okay again.