Chapter Thirty-Nine

AN: Hey! So this is a surprise chapter a lot earlier than usual cause why not. I was super excited for this chapter. You'll see why. It's spring break so I had a lot of extra time. Plus lately I've been posting later than normal so why not? I also wanted to thank everyone for all the votes and comments cause they literally make my day. Anyway, have fun reading this and have a great day everyone!

"What was that?" Lucy asked the man.

He had come out of the darkness of the mansion a few minutes ago when Lucy, Edmund, and Madelyn were standing in front of the spell book.

At the same time, Caspian and the rest of the crew were dealing with the creatures outside, in search for the missing teenagers.

It wasn't until Lucy read the spell to make the unseen seen that they became visible. They were off looking Narnians with only a single foot.

"Lint. But don't tell them." He gave Lucy a small smile which she returned.

"What we're those things?" Eustace asked, standing in the back, with curiosity in his eyes.

"Dufflepuds," the man answered before turning and moving on.

"Right, of course. Silly me." He rolled his eyes and threw his hands up.

They followed Coriakin back into the mansion. Madelyn walked next to Edmund, occasionally asking some question or another about the Dufflepuds.

"What did you mean when you said you made them invisible for their own good?" Lucy asked. Madelyn looked up at this, having the same question in mind.

"It seemed the easiest was to protect them from the evil." Madelyn's eyebrows furrowed as she glanced at Edmund who spoke up.

"Evil?" Madelyn asked, looking up.

"You mean the mist?" Asked Edmund. Madelyn remembered the eerie green mist that they'd seen and felt a shiver go down her spine.

Coriakin pulled out a rolled up poster of sorts. He then unrolled it and laid it flat on the floor, revealing a beautiful map. The deep blue ocean on the map was alive and moving on the paper as if it were real. It had moving drawings around the corners with perfect detailing in every part. From what Madelyn guessed, the drawings displayed the Battle of Beruna that Edmund, Lucy, and Caspian had told her of.

Every time they spoke of the battle, Madelyn was deeply intrigued. She always wanted to know more.

"It's quite beautiful," They all turned to Eustace with raised eyebrows, surprised. This was the first time he'd shown respect or admiration for anything Narnian and that was good progress.

"Did I just hear him correctly?" Madelyn whispered with a small smirk, making Edmund chuckle.

"I mean for a make believe map of a make believe world," he shrugged in explanation.

"Right." Madelyn still suspected that the boy was slowly coming around to like Narnia. Edmund hid a smile as he turned to Madelyn who was doing the same.

"This is the source of your troubles. Dark Island." Coriakin announced as the map zoomed in and moved on its own, showing the Dark Island which in the map was surrounded by a mysterious fog.

"A place where evil lurks. It can take any form. It can make your darkest dreams come true." Said Coriakin. As he said the last part, he glanced at Edmund who looked down.

Madelyn wondered about Coriakin's words as she felt a shudder for through her. Her nightmares were enough to giver her a panic attack even when they were just in her head. She didn't know how she would handle them if they came true.