Chapter Forty-Five

AN: Okay guys, not to brag or anything but I am on a roll here. I've been early with the pasts few chapters and I feel really good about it. I've just been so excited to write these chapters that I've been getting them done really quick and true no can't wait a week to get them out on a schedule so now I'm posting them everyday I guess? Anyway, I hope everyone likes this chapter.

Caspian led the group up ahead, not saying much. Lucy followed him in the same silent manner. Edmund and Madelyn walked along in the back, side by side.

"I'm sorry," This wasn't the easiest for Edmund to say. He had never been too keen on apologizing but saying it to her was something that he didn't mind as much.

Madelyn let out a sigh, thinking for a second. She had already forgiven him. In fact, she'd never even  actually been angry in the first place, just a bit taken aback by the way he had acted. She had never seen him act that way before. She had only heard about it.

He'd told her about the first time they came to Narnia and what he had done. Every time it was brought up, she could see that the past haunted him and that he was ashamed. He wasn't like that anymore though. He would never say those things again unless there was something else that was making him. And they knew it now. There was something that was messing with all of their minds and he hadn't been the only one affected.

"I'm not angry. I was just... I've never seen you act that way before." She looked at the young king with fondness in her eyes, trying to figure out the right words.

"I know. I don't know what happened to me. I just... couldn't think of anything but the gold in that moment." She could see he himself was bothered by what had just happened. Her frown broke, turning into a small smile as she looked at him.

They finally reached the campsite again where the rest of the crew members were working on loading the boats. Caspian stopped in front of them, scanning the area to see what they had done so far.

"What food did you find?" Caspian asked as Madelyn came to a stop, looking into the baskets. From the look of it, nothing. They were already low on supplies and what they found here could change everything.

One of the men kneeled down in front of the baskets, looking up at Caspian. "It's volcanic, Your Majesty. Not much grows." Caspian looked at the man with a frown. Madelyn looked around at the island, seeing that the man was right. She could see absolutely no plants or anything growing anywhere.

"Where's Eustace?" asked Lucy from behind them, prompting Madelyn to look around, searching for him. Lucy was right. The boy was nowhere to be seen.

"I believe he's out, not helping us load the boats." Said Reepicheep from behind them, clearly annoyed.

Madelyn turned to Edmund, raising an eyebrow while Lucy shouted out his name. They both knew what she was thinking. She had asked him about whether or not he'd seen Eustace and Edmund had brushed off the question, saying that Eustace was probably with Reepicheep. He rolled her eyes at her before scanning around for his cousin.

Lucy called out for him again, getting more and more restless. She then turned to her brother.

"Edmund, I've got a bad feeling." She said to Edmund who looked at her, annoyed.

"I'll go find him." Edmund began walking away from them.

"I'll come with you," Caspian and Madelyn said at the same time before turning to look at one another.

"You go ahead," Madelyn said, shaking her head.

"No, you go ahead. I'll stay here," said Caspian, looking at his cousin.