Chapter Fourteen

The wind blew his hair back as he rode through the forest. The only sounds were of the horse's hooves clicking against the ground as he carried Edmund coder and closer to the Telmarine Castle.

The moon was full, shining down in all its glory, giving just enough light to illuminate the path in front of Edmund. There was a light breeze that made it the perfect weather to lay and just watch the stars. However, anything even remotely calming was the last thing on Edmund's mind.

His mind raced and his heart seemed to be jumping in his chest. All he could think of was Madelyn, hoping that everything went according to plan. A plan that had been discussed many times, yet still made him anxious. A plan that was less than ideal, but was the only one they were able to bring into existence. A plan that would also depend heavily on Madelyn's condition.

The worst part was the waiting. It'd been almost two days since she'd been in the castle and all he could do was sit and wonder what she was going through. He had absolutely no idea what was happening to her in there. It was driving him crazy. He couldn't focus on anything and all he wanted to do was see her face.

The closer they got to the castle, the more memories of that night rushed through his head. He remembered flying over the castle after the battle and seeing all the Narsian's that had lost their lives. It was a horrific sight. He'd felt a deep respect for all of the fallen soldiers and increasing hatred for Miraz. A small part of him also felt guilty. Maybe if he'd waited in the sky or watched closer, he could've seen her and gotten her out.

Madelyn had gone back and saved the lives of a few people by risking her own. He'd known she was one of the strongest people he'd ever met from the first time she fought him and she'd only proven it further by going back into the castle.

As his horse approached the clearing in the forest in front of the castle, they came to a skidding stop. The castle was in silence just as it had been the other night they'd come. From where he was standing, Edmund couldn't see any lights on in the castle. He turned to face Reepicheep and the five other mice he'd brought with him.

"You ready?" Reepicheep offered Edmund a reassuring smile before nodding.

"Yes, my liege. We'll be in and out before you realize it. I assure you we will get Lady Madelyn out safe and sound." Reep bowed towards Edmund. Reepicheep was one of the bravest people Edmund had ever met.

"Good, I'll be waiting right here when you get back. I'm sure everything will go smoothly, but if you do run into any problems, one of you come back to get me. Just get her out safe." Reepicheep and the other mice nodded at Ed.

"Okay, good luck. I'll see you back out here in a little." Edmund nodded at them and watched them run off into the distance towards the castle. With each second, his anxiety only got worse.

Edmund fidgeted with his fingers, hating that he had to wait, but knew that patience was necessary.

Reepicheep led the mice into the castle. Caspian had instructed them on where the dungeons were as that was probably where the Telmarines were holding Madelyn.

As they scurried through the castle, Reep had to admit, it was a bit confusing. The castle had more twists and turns than a maze and he couldn't help but wonder how people possibly lived here without constantly getting lost every day. Either way, Reepicheep was determined to find Madelyn and a big castle wouldn't stop him.

So far, the castle had been awfully quiet. There were a few guards, but due to them being small mice, they went unnoticed. Getting in would be easy. Getting out would prove to be a difficult task. This was because going in, nobody noticed five measly mice, but getting out, they were bringing a 5 foot 3 inch tall, wounded girl with them. No doubt it would be difficult, but Reepicheep was confident. They knew that to get her out, they'd have to use a route through the castle where there were minimal guards.